Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSacre bleu! The Bears pick Marc Trestman of the CFL as head coach!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2112553
2112553, Sacre bleu! The Bears pick Marc Trestman of the CFL as head coach!
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jan-16-13 02:58 AM
... quoi?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-bears-hire-marc-trestman-20130115,0,7826477.story

The Bears took a swing for the fences by choosing Marc Trestman to be the 14th head coach in team history, an NFL source told the Tribune early Wednesday.

The Bears are expected to announce the hire Wednesday.

Trestman is a somewhat unconventional choice, having been out of the NFL for eight years. But he also is a proven winner, having won back-to-back Grey Cup championships as coach of the Montreal Alouettes in the Canadian Football League. Trestman has a 64-34 record in five years as a head coach.

In addition to having head coaching experience, Trestman is a quarterback guru who has spent most of his professional life coaching passers. Clearly, he is being brought to the Bears to get the most out of Jay Cutler and whoever else lines up under center during his tenure.

Trestman, 57, was Bernie Kosar’s quarterbacks coach at the University of Miami in 1983, when the Hurricanes won the national championship. In the NFL, Kosar, Steve Young, Scott Mitchell, Jake Plummer and Rich Gannon played well under Trestman’s guidance. Gannon won the 2002 Most Valuable Player award while being coached by Trestman on the Raiders.

“The skill set that Marc has, being an offensive mind, and then his great relationships that he's had with quarterbacks historically in the NFL and the work he's done with them makes him a good fit for the job,” Alouettes general manager Jim Popp said.

“A lot of guys want to be head coaches. Some leave the NFL to go to NCAA schools, and then once they've proven themselves, all of a sudden those college coaches are some of the hot commodities to be an NFL coach. It's no different. Coach Trestman has run a professional team as a head coach for five years. He's had a winning record for five years. He's proven himself as a head coach at a professional level. You can call it what you want, but on-hand training as a head coach and proof goes a long way, goes a real long way. You can't replace that.”

Trestman should know what he is getting into with Cutler. As a consultant, he worked with Cutler to prepare him for the 2006 combine. Among other players he worked with before their drafts are Jason Campbell and Tim Tebow.

Trestman’s appointment should not come as a surprise to Fox analyst Jimmy Johnson, who was Trestman’s boss at the University of Miami. Johnson tweeted Jan. 11 that it “looks like” Trestman would be getting the Bears job.

Trestman was one of 13 known candidates to be interviewed for Lovie Smith’s old position and one of at least three who received second interviews. The others were Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. Eight of the candidates had offensive backgrounds.

Interestingly, Smith nearly hired Trestman in 2004 when he was looking for an offensive coordinator. Instead, Smith settled on Terry Shea, and Trestman became Dave Wannstedt’s quarterbacks coach with the Dolphins.

Trestman also interviewed for the Browns’ head coaching vacancy this month, as well as the Raiders’ offensive coordinator position. Last year, he interviewed for the Colts’ head coaching job.

Trestman is known for a cerebral, measured approach.

“One thing about him that is a strength is his ability to listen,” Gannon said. “He takes feedback. Marc has always been the type of guy who can sit down with you and talk about things. What do you like about this? What don’t you like? His feedback is excellent. And he has an ability to be honest with you. Somebody needs to be honest with Jay Cutler.”

Trestman’s plans for the defense are unknown, but there’s a good chance he will retain coordinator Rod Marinelli and some of the other defensive assistants. Quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates also is a possibility to stay. Trestman previously worked with Bates’ father, Jim.

Trestman played quarterback at the University of Minnesota and Minnesota State-Moorhead. He was with the Vikings for two training camps as a defensive back.

Trestman also graduated from the University of Miami School of Law and has been a member of the Florida bar since 1983. He took a few years away from coaching in the early ‘90s to practice law. He is the author of the book “Perseverance: Life Lessons on Leadership and Teamwork.”

Trestman and his wife, Cindy, have two daughters, Sarahanne and Chloe.
2112554, CANADIAN WHOO-RIDE, EH?
Posted by Virgenes Corazon, Wed Jan-16-13 03:06 AM
2112568, Emery will either burn for this or rise to immortality
Posted by select_from_where, Wed Jan-16-13 07:10 AM
It's a risk from a GM perspective, I hope he knows what he's doing
2112588, can't wait till he sends out the punt team on 3rd down
Posted by KosherSam, Wed Jan-16-13 09:12 AM
2112601, lol
Posted by guru0509, Wed Jan-16-13 10:22 AM

2112701, zing! nice!
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Jan-16-13 12:26 PM
2112722, RE: can't wait till he sends out the punt team on 3rd down
Posted by MarkyMark, Wed Jan-16-13 12:36 PM
Well at least we know what team will lead the league in 12-men-on-the-field penalites next season.
2112799, It'll help Cutler that he is familiar with drawing up plays for 2nd & 15
Posted by KosherSam, Wed Jan-16-13 01:09 PM
2113261, I'd laugh if he had a winning season with no 4th downs at all
Posted by PG, Wed Jan-16-13 08:25 PM
2112592, I'm more concerned we lost Dave Toub (ST)
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Jan-16-13 09:21 AM
He left for Kansas City.
2112594, I'm gonna call it now
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jan-16-13 09:23 AM
Good hire, will probably set off a trend of looking at CFL coaches that won't succeed.
2112604, Not like he's not familiar with the NFL
Posted by The Real, Wed Jan-16-13 10:26 AM
And word is that Cutler was really in favor of the hire.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Money: http://jamesjenkins.acnrep.com
Save Money: http://jamesjenkins.acndirect.com
2112605, This will happen for sure
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-16-13 10:26 AM
> will probably set off a trend of looking at CFL
>coaches that won't succeed.
2112632, a lot of people in MN were tossing his name around before
Posted by pdafunk, Wed Jan-16-13 11:22 AM
the vikes went with frazier, i believe. it'll be interesting to see how he does.
2112607, RE: Sacre bleu! The Bears pick Marc Trestman of the CFL as head coach!
Posted by murph71, Wed Jan-16-13 10:30 AM

I'll give it a chance...We have to start looking forward on offensive...

But Trestman should def. keep the defensive coach we have now...Take a page out of the Steelers' book...

But all of this is meaningless if the Bears brass doesn't get the right pieces to help run a new imaginative offense...Offensive Linemen are needed...A real Tight End is needed...And a no. 2 guy to pair with Marshall is needed....

But the OL is the most important move after the new coach hire....
2112608, I'm with it we had to try something different
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Wed Jan-16-13 10:31 AM
All this recycling coaches shit is old

He's an offensive guy and got really good production
Out of avg qbs

I just hope he keeps rod
2112630, It's been close to 20 years since he was the 9ers OC
Posted by OldPro, Wed Jan-16-13 11:14 AM
and I still hate this dude

good luck Bear fans
2112636, Tice officially out, Bears hire Kromer
Posted by J_Sun, Wed Jan-16-13 11:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4682062/source-bears-hire-kromer-as-oc

Source: Bears hire Kromer as OC
January, 16, 2013

AP Photo/Bob Leverone
Former New Orleans interim head coach Aaron Kromer was Marc Trestman's first move as Bears coach.
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bears moved swiftly to begin filling out their coaching staff under new head coach Marc Trestman by reaching an agreement with Aaron Kromer to serve as the team’s offensive coordinator/offensive line coach, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Kromer has been with the New Orleans Saints since 2008 where he handled the running backs for one season before shifting over to coach the offensive line. Kromer was the Saints’ interim head coach for the first six games of the 2012 season with Sean Payton suspended for the entire year and Joe Vitt unavailable for the opening six games. New Orleans went 2-4 with Kromer at the helm.

The working relationship between Kromer and Trestman dates back to 2001 when two men were both on the staff of the Oakland Raiders. Trestman arrived in Oakland as the quarterbacks coach that year before being promoted to offensive coordinator the following season when the Raiders reached the Super Bowl. Trestman left Oakland after the 2003 campaign. Kromer spent 2001-04 with the Raiders where he coached the offensive line his final three years with the organization.

Kromer also had a stint with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and worked collegiately at Northwestern University and Miami University.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common
2112644, That Bears fan with the weird pro-Tice agenda must be upset
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jan-16-13 11:48 AM
2112647, there is no such fan
Posted by RandomFact, Wed Jan-16-13 11:51 AM
at least there better not be
2112650, it was @stubhubbearsfan83
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-16-13 11:54 AM
he was pissed
2112657, Somebody did
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jan-16-13 12:00 PM
We'll say it was FromTheGo or allstah, because probably.
2112769, Yesss!
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Wed Jan-16-13 12:53 PM
2112645, you fired a guy that took you to a super bowl for a CFL guy..
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Wed Jan-16-13 11:48 AM
2112646, they did.
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-16-13 11:50 AM
2112648, fired a guy who has no idea how to run an offense in 2013
Posted by RandomFact, Wed Jan-16-13 11:52 AM
i wish we could hire lovie back as our defensive coordinator, though.
2112655, RE: fired a guy who has no idea how to run an offense in 2013
Posted by murph71, Wed Jan-16-13 11:56 AM
>i wish we could hire lovie back as our defensive coordinator,
>though.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And Lovie is my boy....

But running in place on offense is no longer cool...
2112659, This.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Jan-16-13 12:05 PM
He's not getting any HC jobs.
Plus the players will run through walls for him.

I doubt it'll happen though.
2112669, word is that Trestman is gonna keep Marinelli
Posted by J_Sun, Wed Jan-16-13 12:16 PM
I'm cool with that. Assuming he gets buy in from the vets as HC, you keep the continuity on D and revamp the offense. Should be a win-win in theory.

"Sometimes I contemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common
2112682, RE: word is that Trestman is gonna keep Marinelli
Posted by murph71, Wed Jan-16-13 12:19 PM
>I'm cool with that. Assuming he gets buy in from the vets as
>HC, you keep the continuity on D and revamp the offense.
>Should be a win-win in theory.

This is the smart move...It makes sense...
2112760, smart move
Posted by RandomFact, Wed Jan-16-13 12:49 PM
you keep the same system in place as long as the defense is anchored by Urlacher & Briggs.

2112773, RE: smart move
Posted by murph71, Wed Jan-16-13 12:54 PM
>you keep the same system in place as long as the defense is
>anchored by Urlacher & Briggs.

Gotta get younger on D, though...Briggs has been able to keep up...Lac? Not so much...

We got to get younger at Lac's position...
2112767, Yes that was all I was worried about
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Wed Jan-16-13 12:52 PM
2113689, edit
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jan-17-13 12:35 PM
u got it
2112660, This argument is so fucking stupid
Posted by select_from_where, Wed Jan-16-13 12:05 PM
So are we supposed to just be forever grateful to this dude and continue to spin our wheels?
2112661, "we're 10-2 with Rex Grossman as our quarterback"
Posted by Virgenes Corazon, Wed Jan-16-13 12:06 PM
Lovie needs to tattoo that on his forehead backward.
2112811, ^^lava
Posted by bshelly, Wed Jan-16-13 01:23 PM
2112905, No a guy that made the playoffs once since 06
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Wed Jan-16-13 03:05 PM
lost to Green Bay 8 of the last 9 times
And had an offense that been in the bottom 10th % the
Past 3 years

Fohwtbs

2112912, They lost and it was a long time ago
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jan-16-13 03:16 PM
What are you going to say the same thing about the Eagles? Oh, you fired the most successful coach in franchise history for a college guy?

The franchises needed to move on. They didn't want to make some stale as fuck hire of a proven loser. I like both moves.
2112909, It's not like he is a nobody, has coached in natl titles and super bowls
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jan-16-13 03:14 PM
Plus had a ton of success in Canada.

One of my buddies up there knows him, said he was looking at NFL jobs but I figured like a quarterbacks coach or OC gig.

I hope it goes well. I like out of the box hires. So many times they fire one guy and just hire a re-tread just like him. This makes two first-time NFL head coaches in one day.

That said, the last few I have pulled for didn't really work out. I am looking at you, Raheem Morris!
2113049, All these lovie apologists are the same people that complained
Posted by select_from_where, Wed Jan-16-13 05:59 PM
Ya'll have to understand the type of organization the bears are

historic, full of cronies,

lovie had a DEEPLY entrenched staff, you see how quick mofo's are gone now?

Bears assistant coaches were all about keeping a job, lovie was the only one on the hot seat, and this dude had ownership in his back pocket.

SIX YEARS of incremental changes,

Something doesnt work, blame the assistant coaches fire assistant coaches, hire new assistant coaches, rinse and repeat.

It's a TERRIBLE culture of blame-game.

which changed nothing.

cat's gotta understand that change is necessary.

2113687, shit balls! Marinelli doesn't want to stay!
Posted by J_Sun, Thu Jan-17-13 12:34 PM
Trestman just said it at his press conference.... I do NOT like this at ALL.

2113699, Read that he's looking at Dallas.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Jan-17-13 12:41 PM
Marinelli leaving is not good.
2113703, That is so funny to read.
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jan-17-13 12:44 PM
>Marinelli leaving is not good.
2113711, If I were Rod, I would leave too...
Posted by FromTheGo, Thu Jan-17-13 12:50 PM
Fuck you mean keep me after firing the guy who put me in a great position to redeem myself.

Rod would be looked at as the savior for the D under the new regime and he would be the INSTANT scapegoat if this Trestman shit fails.

Leave and take your talents elsewhere, and if Dallas does get him, cool...

...next year after Garrett is fired, Lovie and Urlacher and Hester can come to Dallas and plug in and play and make the NFC East that much more interesting.

Sucks for the Bears, but if they want to move on, they will HAVE to move on now completely

Emery, the floor is yours