Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Lionel Hollins goes in on analytics, nerds attack
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2109225&mesg_id=2109249
2109249, RE: Lionel Hollins goes in on analytics, nerds attack
Posted by all stah, Fri Jan-11-13 08:28 PM
What he iterated was spot on, and even though I think rudy is a gun, rudy does bring certain qualities to the table that don't show up on the stat sheet.

---> spot on

"The reality is that we have a very versatile small forward that is 6'9. There aren't many guys out there like that. He can post up, shoot from the perimeter he can attack the basket. He defends LeBron James, he defendsKevin Durant and all these guys that are tall, and strong, and quick and athletic. We don't have another player on our rsoter with that versatility, and most teams don't. That's the bottom line."

"There are a lot of expectations that go with that contract, but as I've told all the players that sign a new contract, 'you are still the same player.' Obviously, the media and fans expect more, because you get paid more, but the reality is that everybody has a role. Andrei Kirilenko, for years, was a max player in Utah, but he was not the best player on that team. The leverage was such where he became a max player, and they kept him until his contract is up. He served a very valuable role. You can't knock players for getting contracts because they have leverage. That's what negotiating is all about.

"Sometimes, circumstances dictate the kinds of shots you get. When we have marc and zach on the inside, it's hard to find a spot to put them when we want to post rudy more. Rudy's adjusted to that from day one. You hear people say that Rudy and Zach can't play together and they don't fit. They do fit! They need each other. Zach needs Rudy'sversatility, and Rudy needs Zach to post up and get rebounds.

"We get hung up on statistics a little too much, and I think that's a bad trait all over the league that's taken place. And the media has done it because it's easy to go to the stats to make a point or to build up a player or tear down a player. Just the analyzing, I see it every time listening to talk show radio. You've got guys spouting off stat after stat after stat. The bottom line is going out and contributing to your team for winning."-----------------
------

Of course statisticians and writers are going to criticize because (1)he is black, and(2) stats allow people who don't know anything about basketball to degrade and praise players who they hate and love.

I don't understand why they can't re-structure rudy's contract. He wants to stay in Memphis, so what's the problem?