Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecti know he didn't put much thought into it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2107097&mesg_id=2108186
2108186, i know he didn't put much thought into it
Posted by thejerseytornado, Thu Jan-10-13 01:09 PM
and you're dead on--that's where it got weird for me, and what I was trying to get at. you did better than I did in expressing that.

That was, for me, the moment where I saw how these cut-aways and what gets talked about during them helps "do gender" in front of millions of people primed for traditional masculinity/gender concepts. This one wasn't subtle where others are. And it happening right after the Jemele Hill bruhaha on his board helped me realize that, i think.

It wasn't a huge deal, insofar as there are more pressing things than old-ass Musburger saying some dated shit on TV, but it was not cool of him and it opened my eyes even further when the majority of the posts in here didn't see it the same way I did and didn't notice the overwhelming maleness of the place where they talked about how they saw and interpreted that moment.

I hate to make the race/gender comparison because they're very different aspects of our society and how we divide each other, but it was so reminiscent of how the conversation goes when I'm in a room of white people talking about race, it was illuminating to me.

-----------
It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.