Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectnah
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2107097&mesg_id=2108086
2108086, nah
Posted by Selah, Thu Jan-10-13 11:12 AM
>Bringing up what Musberger said about John Carlos
>and Tommie Smith in a post about his comments on a
>girl's beauty is super irrelevant

not really. It is relevant because Musburger been saying dumb stuff for decades so why trip now? why feign surprise when a duck quacks, or when a tainted well poisons someone?

>My point is that a lot of progressive black people said
>that Tommy Smith and John Carlos were whiny attention
>whores who put their feelings ahead of the spirit of
>the olympic games and whose actions didn't really do
>anything to help anyone

WHO though? "a lot"? of course now you'll probably say "go find them yourself" but the burden of proof is usually on the one making the assertion. I'm not saying they DIDN'T exist, but "a lot" is pretty vague and throws up flags when talking about an entire race of people

or are we talking about YOU (in which case I guess your comments might make more sense...or at least some kinda basis)

>That was a common view at the time, even from black people
>who loved black people

again: WHO though? And as far as "Black people who loved Black people" how are those folks you reference not showing more love for "the spirit of the olympics" (a nebulous concept) over the concerns of a couple of the very people they supposedly love (something tangible)? calling them whiny and attention whores is a heck of a way to express the love you are attributing to "them".

>So I can't really chide a white MALE for authoring much
>of the same over 40 years ago

right, but then there is the 1999-line-toeing part so the 40-years-ago part which kinda eliminates the 40-years ago and therefore it doesn't matter implication (another fact: last June Carlos said that whenever he and Musburger are in the same location he can't say anything to him because musburger takes off the other direction. said in here: http://www.thenation.com/blog/168209/after-forty-four-years-its-time-brent-musburger-apologized-john-carlos-and-tommie-smith#)

"chide" as you will, again i say eff dat dude AND any "progressive" of any color who agreed/agrees with him