Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectit was a missed joke
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2107097&mesg_id=2108016
2108016, it was a missed joke
Posted by thejerseytornado, Thu Jan-10-13 08:50 AM
that you took seriously (similarly, people caught feelings over my first post?). sorry.

similarly, i'm sorry if my posting style came across as condescending. I'm willing to blame it on a religio-cultural difference in linguistic norms (my fiancee always blames that for why she gets annoyed at how I argue as a NE jew) on how to make points. i apologize if i came off condescendingly, as that was not the intent. Nor, when you post, do I presume you are condescending to me, though, quite frequently, my first reaction (before remembering it's you posting) is that it was condescending. I post that not to call you condescending sounding, but because it's interesting to me how posting styles can lead to those presumptions and why and what might be behind that.

however, the posts all above mine, other than smuts, were pretty unanimously about how musburger is just a creepy old guy (thus, no big deal) or its overblown. I'm pretty confident in arguing that were we to storify this whole post, other than the occasionally smuts (bizarre name for this post) or me or bin, it's pretty much a board-wide agreement that this was overblown and not an issue and we should stare at pretty women during sports events as per usual.

i don't see a problem with showing a player's wife and complimenting her and moving on. I do think musburger drove well past that line. i might have done a poor job articulating why that is, but it's certainly my opinion, and i've learned to never believe i'll change a mind on okaysports. But I do think this is another space where the boy's club has met and decided that what boys do with regard to women is ok. Then, the woman who was the target of that action said it was ok, and she trumps the other women who were talking about broader issues than her feelings on the subject, but we don't want to hear that in our boys club.

so i did a poor job of explaining my views on this one. next time i'll try better or not bother. not sure which.

-----------
It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.