Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIm seriously thinking about disconnecting from the grid
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2102609&mesg_id=2108790
2108790, Im seriously thinking about disconnecting from the grid
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jan-11-13 09:44 AM
nah fellas not like that....

but lately Ive been feeling like I want to live NY and get out of this 9-6 grind everyday. I posted in another post about getting a job in a new field--havent explored it much.

But more and more as I approach my mid 40s I want to live my life. I know I can do that shit when I retire, but I wanna do it now while Im still young.

Im going to start looking into working in international schools. A friend of mine ended up applying for a international school job a few years ago and got hired in Uzbekistan. In some ways I was like wtf... but after talking to her it seems more and more enticing.

Living in the states, and especially in NY, I just feel caught in the hamster wheel and so caught up in this consumer culture--even though Im not even a bg buy everything consumer.

I was channel surfing last night and came accross this show Hawaiilife where couples move to Hawaii. I know Hawaii isnt all paradise, but Im just like how ill would it be to wake up around this everyday--and be able to just do a lot of shit outdoors year round

Another parent from my school moved here a couple years ago from Nepal and just talked about how she missed that life so much. They got paid less, but they needed much less. Thats kind of attractive to me. Of course doing this Id have to give up sports, but hey...I think Im so consumed by sports because its how I get away.

This decision is obviously a lot harder with a wife and 4 yr old, but were smart people, Im convinced we can get jobs anywhere in our fields. Our son will be fine--whatever he could learn in school that year --he could larn in international school or from us--hell even if it wasnt a formal classroom that experience would be just as valuable as 10 minths in any classroom.

Ive grinded it out in NY for 10 years now. I know how to do it here and could always come back.

I think teh hardest thing would be leaving friends behind. if we could get friends to move and do it with us--that would be the nail in the coffin.