Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSounds like Hollywood or Santa Monica for you
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2102609&mesg_id=2108752
2108752, Sounds like Hollywood or Santa Monica for you
Posted by MothershipConnection, Fri Jan-11-13 03:59 AM
I actually like Downtown a lot, I'm moving close to there in about a month, but it can definitely get hairy if you don't know your way around and get lost. Lot of good stuff right there, Little Tokyo is right there, Gallery Row, all the stuff Ryan mentioned, but you can end up in the middle of Skid Row if you get lost by two blocks... this happened to me once looking for my car coming back from The Smell, a little punk venue downtown, and I remember turning to my buddy Mike like "Uh, I don't think we parked here" after we passed by a dumpster fire and a dude pissing in the middle of the street.

So if the logistics of getting to the games isn't a problem I'd probably stay in Santa Monica or Hollywood. You should be fine as far as finding nice places to stay or stuff to do at either one.

As far as bars... my favorite bars in Hollywood are Power House (total dive somehow right on Hollywood and Highland right across from that ginormous complex, but the cheapest drinking in Hollywood) and Cat & Fiddle (nice chill afternoon/early evening spot, nice patio and ambiance). I also like Thirsty Crow for whiskey if you're willing to venture into hipsterville, and the Virgil (formerly Little Temple) nearby (edge of Hollywood and Silverlake) for a lounge with some great music. Also since you'll be at Staples anyway, the Standard Hotel in Downtown has some upscale bars and lounges with good music going on (I might be biased cause I have a couple DJ friends who spin there). There's like a $20 cover for the rooftop bar on Fridays/Saturdays after 7 so I'd avoid that but it has some great views.

I don't really know the comedy scene to well but Ryan should be able to help you with that. And I've written a lot already but my one restaurant recommendation is Guisado's for tacos. Fucking delicious and they just opened a location up on Sunset in Echo Park close to Dodger Stadium.