Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI managed to avoid these boards for a solid week
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2102609&mesg_id=2102907
2102907, I managed to avoid these boards for a solid week
Posted by MothershipConnection, Fri Jan-04-13 05:57 AM
Not purposely ducking UCLA's ugly bowl loss, it just happened to work out that way since I was taking a redeye to Chicago that night and I don't like posting to these boards from my phone (can't someone do a mobile version? Probably best that they don't).

Either way, UCLA's Holiday Bowl performance literally made me puke, as I was drinking whiskey with my old college roommate since about 6 that day before getting a ride to LAX (that game was so ugly I didn't feel bad about ducking early), only to find that my flight's been delayed two hours. My original plan was to drink enough watching the game to pass out quickly on the plane and get some sleep, but with a very heavy handed bartender feeling bad for us stuck there until 2 AM, the Vomit Comet landed at LAX.

Chicago was great though, it wasn't quite as bone chillingly cold as I expected, and I definitely overindulged myself on a variety of Midwestern foods and beers. By NYE, my boy (Chi-Town native and now of LA) and I were basically crying for vegetables and some sort of physical activity. My one attempt at using the hotel gym resulted in me huffing and puffing from 15 minutes of exercise bike and straining myself doing a sit up. My actual NYE involved catching a friend's band at the Metro and then attempting to kill three band's worth of venue provided alcohol with one band (+ friends), resulting in me stealing a bottle of whiskey for the road and having mimosa flavored puke in the morning.

I don't know when this turned into a post mostly about my vomit. After another delayed flight caused by a flight attendant having a seizure at the gate (probably caused by some of the worst screaming toddlers I've ever been on with on a flight), I bumped into the violin player in my friend's band at baggage claim, where naturally our conversation turned to our most colorful pukes (me: orange glowing Tommy's chili, her: blueberry blue after last year's NYE).

Anyway, in 2013 I'm looking forward to a more streamlined, productive year. Not that 2012 was unproductive, it was definitely one of the better years of my life, but there's a lot of time I could use better, things here and there that could be cut down or out. Including Internet and sports. I don't really miss it much when I'm out of town. OKS is about the last place I'd cut out since y'all are family and actually entertaining, but watching a random TOR/DEN game or getting into increasingly stupid arguments on team boards? Click, close.

No wedding or kid news here like most of yall seem to be having, but probably gonna have a new job before the end of the year, playing in two different musical projects (one new and could lead to more, the other restarting an old one), trying to do some travel to Europe or Asia... looking forward way different in 2014 than 2013.