Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHe almost single handedly turned Bmore into a Football town...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2101921&mesg_id=2102213
2102213, He almost single handedly turned Bmore into a Football town...
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Wed Jan-02-13 06:58 PM
During my early childhood years (80s/early to mid 90s), there was no doubt that Bmore was a baseball town. The Orioles ran the city. Ripken was the hero (and still is to a large degree) and face of the city. Now obviously the O's had the advantage since the Colts skipped town in the middle of the night in the early 80s. But even prior to that, the Orioles had a firm grip on the city.

Now obviously the Colts were wildly popular during the Johnny U days, but I don't believe they were ever quite as popular or beloved as the Ravens are today. Growing up in the Bmore metro area I have witnessed this transformation take place. Bmore folks are crazy about their Ravens. I do believe that Ray Lewis has had a monumental role in this transformation.

Much respect to one of the greatest football players of all time. Despite not being a Ravens fan, I used to make it to at least one Ravens pre-season practice every year. He was simply amazing to watch. The combination of size, speed, strength, intelligence, and tencacity was awe-inspiring. He's definitely on the short list of all-time great NFL players. He's also on that short list of NFL players who's popularity transcended the sport. Like I said, just a treat to watch.