Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecteven if what you're saying is right
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2101355&mesg_id=2102170
2102170, even if what you're saying is right
Posted by themaddfapper, Wed Jan-02-13 05:15 PM
>but i mean we're all adults here. Everyone knows you making
>100mil whether we see you on the bench or not. Can you be a
>better player when you come back by sitting on the
>bench...probably.

these dudes, and that's athletes by and large, are sensitive. you know that. check their quotes and twitter feeds. Media in this town are vultures. You know their get-down. The Knicks start off slow, then they're all in people's faces about "when do you think stat's coming back? can he help you? should he come off the bench?" If they're doing well, they're in his face "how do you think you'd fit in with the team? What's your role gonna be?" And if no comments them, then shit gets made up.

I understand your point, and I agree with it fundamentally. I think he made the right move, and if woody or the org weren't ok with it, they'da told him.

>as far as being taught defense, i'm gonna assume that stat was
>locking dudes down and patrolling the paint straight through
>high school and you weren't lol.

actually I was. not to get all Polk High w/ it, but I'm 6'5" w/ a 6'11" wingspan. very kirilenko-ish. I knew to play, I had to defend, plus I was damn good at it.

Its usually in college when
>cats learn how to defend. In high school, they teaching you
>offense to get you to the next level. Amare got to the league
>because of his offense and size. He's been playing defense the
>wrong way for what 10 years now! Its in his system.

you're right. being super gifted allows you that pass. not to mention going to 6 different schools, he either didn't have time to get taught, or he was likely each coach's meal ticket and he didn't bother knowing he had a future pro.

he's also been in the league 10 yrs. unless someone is drawing up plays from the planet Zorg, there's enough tape and data to have a fundamental understanding of what most teams are running. He sometimes looks as if defense is where he's supposed to stand between possessions, as opposed to an action word.

woody don't fuck around w/ accountability tho. he'll be on notice. And for all the DPOY shit, tyson should have been taken him under his wing and schooled him.