Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAmare Blames D'Antoni For Not Playing Defense
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2101355&mesg_id=2102101
2102101, Amare Blames D'Antoni For Not Playing Defense
Posted by RexLongfellow, Wed Jan-02-13 03:10 PM
LOL
Knicks' Amar'e promises to improve after never being 'taught defense'
By MARC BERMAN
Last Updated: 2:21 PM, January 2, 2013
Knicks power forward Amar’e Stoudemire vowed to become a better defensive player as the season goes on, saying he finally has a “defensive coach’’ in Mike Woodson.
It was not the first time Stoudemire appeared to lay the blame on his former Suns and Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni but it was the most emphatic. Stoudemire’s defense was putrid during his 16-minute, six-point, one-rebound debut Tuesday night, causing Woodson most of his concern. The Knicks are 0-1 with Stoudemire, losing to Portland, 105-100.
Stoudemire will play his second game Thursday vs. San Antonio after saying his left knee responded terrifically.
“Just having a defensive coach for the first time in my career is going to help,’’ Stoudemire said. “I’ve never been taught defense my whole career. To now have a coach who actually teaches defense and strategies and knows positioning and posture and how to guard different plays is going to be helpful and I’m taking it as a challenge and try to improve as a player.’’

Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post
Amar'e Stoudemire and Knicks coach Mike Woodson talk during the team's loss to the Blazers on Tuesday night..
During practice Wednesday, Woodson had to go over to Stoudemire to instruct him about a bad angle and posture he was taking when trying to stop his man from going baseline. It truly seemed to be the basic fundamentals.
Woodson said Stoudemire mostly struggled on their pick-and-roll defense, saying a lot has changed since last season on how they defend it.
Woodson said he will still keep Stoudemire in the 16-minute range for the time being, coming off the bench.
“I think right now we have to sharpen our schemes up,’’ Stoudemire said of the D which allowed 105 points to Portland last night.
Stoudemire admitted he was surprised by the huge standing ovation he received when he checked in with 3:31 left in the first quarter to begin his season.
“I was extremely surprised to be honest with you by the fans,’’ Stoudemire said. “It was so loud, I was very emotional. The game was going so fast for me out there. I never felt that feeling before. But now I got that first game under my belt, going into game two I’ll be more aware of what’s happening and will have a much better game.’’