Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectsee what I said about Marv as a coach in post #19
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2100291&mesg_id=2102430
2102430, see what I said about Marv as a coach in post #19
Posted by MaxPtah, Thu Jan-03-13 06:49 AM
Or any of the three or four Bengals threads there are lol. I've always said Marvin isn't a good coach. He makes poor decisions and has terrible time management. But as a judge of talent and being a motivator he's great. That's why if the Bengals ever decide to go the GM route he'd be better served in that position and bring in a better coach. I'm not even lobbying for him to be coach of the year either. I agree with you that it should be Carroll or even Arians.

And I don't know if you actually keep up with the Bengals (and since you're a Steelers fan I doubt you really do) but once Marv leaves it'll probably be a consistent 3-13 team again instead of the mediocre 8-8 then once in a while 10-6 team that we are because he's the only coach Brown has ever trusted. With a better x's and o's coach this year, we would've beaten Dallas and not shit the bed against Miami. Hell, Tomlin did his best Lewis impression in that last game and I felt sorry for you all cause that was Marv's worst game as a coach...and that's saying a lot, lol.

I'm not enabling dude's mediocrity and never have. The only time he deserved coach of the year is when he swept the division. Being a great motivator only takes you so far. He's finally getting players to want to come to Cincinnati and not just for a paycheck (once again, that motivation tactic). Luckily he's got damn good DC in Zimmer and Gruden has his moments, but its only his second year. In a typical season he loses about 5 games on his own because of his shortcomings as a coach. I'd much rather have a better coach, of course, but as long as Brown is there Marv is the right choice cause Brown is stubborn and I don't think he'd give up a tenth of the power to anyone else that he's given up to Lewis.

*edit: even look at what phenompryus said in the post I replied to. Any Bengal fan will tell you that Lewis isn't a good coach and would rather have better. What you're saying isn't far fetched or new or anything any Bengals fan hasn't already said.