Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectPaulson kinda seems to hate dudes that are all flair
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2084667&mesg_id=2094680
2094680, Paulson kinda seems to hate dudes that are all flair
Posted by celery77, Mon Dec-17-12 08:26 PM
so I think he was always hesitant about Mix, because based on what I've read Mix + his dad/agent think Mix is a star and want him in a star position. Paulson would have been leery about that.

then I seriously think that Soccer by Ives link above which quotes "sources" was the dad/agent talking to Ives, because mlssoccer.com had another article with dad/agent saying "everything right" about Portland -- he loved the fans, he loved the style of play, great relationship with Caleb Porter, just basically selling Mix to the Portland fan base. meanwhile European press has Mix with Rapid Vienna or possibly staying in Rosenborg. then I think Mix asked for more money than the Timbers were willing to pay (or possibly couldn't because they have 3 DPs with Chara, Valencia and *sigh* Boyd, so they offered right up to the limit of a DP slot and couldn't get it done).

so anyway sounds like Gavin has another target to fill the same slot in case it didn't work, so Paulson is putting the pressure bag on the blabby dad/agent. if he wants to negotiate through the press, Merritt will negotiate through the press.

that's my reading.

and honestly Mix is an unsure thing, but he's intriguing, so I'd love for him to be in Portland. his skillset isn't irreplaceable, though.