Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectGood, short veteran signing
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2071263&mesg_id=2071295
2071295, Good, short veteran signing
Posted by Walleye, Wed Nov-14-12 12:39 PM
The decline in his 2012 walk rate interests me a bit, because it looked for the prior four seasons like he'd really added a skill that wasn't present when he was younger. The higher strikeout rate says he's starting to hit like an older player, but that might not be a bad look for him as long as he wears it (take the strikeout/power tradeoff and know that strikeouts mean he's not bouncing in doubleplays in that #2 slot) and returns to drawing walks at a pretty good rate like he did from 2008-2012.

His .389 BABIP from 2012 isn't going to happen again, but if walks continue to be a part of his broadening base of offensive skills then the move to a substantially friendlier hitting environment lets the Tigers feel comfortable risking a not-small annual price for only two years. Call it .270/.340/.470 or so?

And don't forget defense. Because in constructing their 2012 softball team the Tigers... totally did. Hunter's graceful decline in center has turned into an asset as a rightfielder, and he should be worth a full win over whoever the Tigers would have played there otherwise. Boesch, I guess? The pitching staff will be greatful, in any event.

Anyhow, they can't all be crazy bargains, but I really like this for a team that is close enough to only need small tweaks. A lot like the Beltran signing for St. Louis last winter.