Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectwhich is why the problem might be more accurately "shooting off dribble"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2062679&mesg_id=2065518
2065518, which is why the problem might be more accurately "shooting off dribble"
Posted by celery77, Tue Nov-06-12 11:28 AM
as opposed to "taking midrange jumpers." because a guy like JR Smith I'm pretty certain takes plenty more 3FGs than 2FGs, but he isn't efficient when he's pounding and hoisting, whereas a guy like Lamarcus Aldridge uses his midrange from the triple threat stance to keep defense's honest and I don't think it's terrible when he picks + pops even if it's only a 50% shot or so.

and I'd be surprised if you did analysis of where midrange jumpers are taken in the shot clock, if there isn't a preponderance of them late in the shot clock as teams hoist because their offensive set is broken.

which is where I might say killing a guy like Melo for hoisting might be unfair when that's his responsibility in the NYK offense, but then again I also watch Melo enough to know he has specious shot selection at times, so if the shoe fits...

but anyway that's the sort of context that I think is lost in pure make/miss efficiency comparisons and where I think the blanket "3FGs are a superior shot" statement is misleading.