Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThere's a side discussion about teams weighing defense here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2059266&mesg_id=2086709
2086709, There's a side discussion about teams weighing defense here
Posted by Walleye, Thu Dec-06-12 09:30 AM
In 2004, Ben Revere wouldn't be a thing. A .294/.333/.342 line said "useful fourth outfielder" in the sillyball days, but last year he basically built on a 1 win bat with kind of insane baserunning and defense numbers to be a 3.4 win player according to fWAR.

The non-Morosi rumors about Revere weren't that the Twins were offering him around, but that the Phillies have included him in their centerfield search. Add that his value is almost certainly heightened because the Twins have narrowed out their centerfield logjam and that means that at least one pretty good team is considering the chances that Revere's glove and baserunning make him as valuable (and more) as the following players:

Andre Ethier
BJ Upton
Starlin Castro
Shane Victorino
Derek Jeter
Billy Butler
Mark Teixeira

It's a brave new world, and if we're wrong about Revere's value on the trade market (and the 100mm thrown at Upton and Victorino in the past month says we might be) then somebody might aggressively let the Twins know.

Until then, though, I agree that we keep the defense. A lot of extra balls are going to fall out there with Denard Span. I'm not sure my heart can take a staff that's going to give up that many balls in the gap and nobody there to run them down.