Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI want to rap with ya'll about Ted Leonsis and his tepid philosophy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2054822&mesg_id=2060069
2060069, I want to rap with ya'll about Ted Leonsis and his tepid philosophy
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Oct-30-12 01:19 PM
Ted is using his Capitals rebuild approach for the Wizards, and I don't think that wait and see shit is as applicable in the NBA. You have to REALLY strike gold in the draft to build a title contender almost exclusively through prospects (Rose, Durant, LeBron.)

Otherwise you get inspired in free agency.

We voluntarily don't do that. It's as if Ted is saying "hey look, our city isn't sexy and we can't lure free agents anyway so let's just do what we can." Meanwhile, the Nats proved this wrong. They knew they couldn't land Teixera but they went nuts deep in pursuit of him anyway, just to prove that they were willing to pay and that they deserved to be relevant. They overpaid on Werth, but I maintain that if ever they were going to get serious about bringing in stud FAs it would take something this splashy to get everyone's attention. And just last summer they came neck and neck with the Tigers for the services of Prince Fielder.

Why don't the Wizards ever even try? Why is this culture of "sufficient enough" acceptable? Because, in truth, Leonsis isn't ruthless enough. He smiles more than Danny. He's far more accessible than Danny. But in truth he's far too lukewarm and the Wizards are proof of this. Blatche should've BEEN gone for pennies on the dollar. So should Grunfeld. So should Boudreau long before he did get canned. Shit at this point maybe McPhee deserves a look too.

His passivity scares me and I must admit that I'm beginning to think he isn't up for this job of winning championships.