Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHonest Lin Assessment So Far
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2050980&mesg_id=2075601
2075601, Honest Lin Assessment So Far
Posted by RexLongfellow, Tue Nov-20-12 11:16 AM
I gotta disagree with Shawn on some things, and we'll get to that
I'm not rooting for him to fail, at all. I think he's struggling mightily though. It's crazy that he's shooting that poorly in Houston, especially not facing the type of defense he would be facing sans Harden. I thought getting Harden would boost his shooting %, but not really

Now to disagree with Shawn on certain things
He's not that good a defender on the ball. You can get by him pretty easy. His lateral quickness might need work, and that might be because of the knee, who knows. He's actually VERY GOOD reading the passing lanes and has great ball instincts. That's his gift, and his curse because he gets stuck watching the ball and he gets beat left and right. Now, having Asik there should mask this but it doesn't all the time.
However, he's reading passing lanes and anticipating passes very well, which gets him his steals. His ball skills are also helping him with getting blocks on weak-side help. However, sometimes, he's helping off his man and that will get him in trouble.

Personally, I think he is where he should be, but he SHOULD be shooting better. There's no excuse for his shooting right now. In NY, he mixed up his offense by shooting floaters, driving to the rim, and hitting the 3. Now cats are sagging and daring him to shoot and he's bricking. He's better than that offensively, and it should get better.
But this is why I was just stunned that cats actually argued AGAINST having a mid range game. He's not gonna get to the rim at will, so he has to have part of his game better developed to keep the defense off balance (which is VITAL for a PG). Not only that, he's getting hammered and not getting calls, just like how it was in NY (dude was getting murdered going in the paint and would get no whistle)

I do think that part of his struggles are 3 fold
1. He's coming off the knee surgery and doesn't trust it fully
2. Still getting acclimated to a new system, complete with new #1 option
3. He's technically still a rookie. He hasn't even played a complete season yet and he's already been under 5 coaches.

I think he'll pick it up, but if he doesn't, then he'll be a big disappointment. However, he's still a rookie (technically), and his #'s aren't bad. The team success combined with his shooting is really hammering his status, not to mention Felton is flourishing in NY right now. They'll always be tied because of the prior NY PG compared to the current NY PG.

One more variable I really can't answer is the McHale/K. Sampson factor. I really don't see the type of offense they're running. Lin flourished with D'Antoni's PG friendly system, so I do think the right coach could bring out more in him and make him more effective. Truth be told, he's on the wrong Texas team, in my opinion. I think he would be a great option in Dallas, under Rick Carlisle, getting to pick and choose his spots, having decent vet. leadership, and can be the 2nd or 3rd option at times, with license to take big shots in certain spots. As bad as he's playing (by Lin standards), I do think he's an upgrade over Collison, who's proven time and time again that he can't handle the starting job.

I root for the kid, and hope he picks it up. The only thing that pissed me off about Lin was that bullshit about him being 85% away from being 60% ready to play nonsense