Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectShaq gon' be hatin D12 all year, says Brook Lopez is better C
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2044592
2044592, Shaq gon' be hatin D12 all year, says Brook Lopez is better C
Posted by rjc27, Wed Oct-03-12 03:40 PM
Mainly posting this because I'm all in on Lopez this year... and because I am lovin the asshole attitude Shaq throws Duh-White Howard

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/brooklyn-nets/

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Shaquille O'Neal doesn't just think Andrew Bynum is better than Dwight Howard.

He'd also take Brook Lopez over D-12 ... assuming he can remember the Nets center's name.

Here's what O'Neal had to say when asked his opinion on who is the best big man in the NBA during a roundtable discussion with fellow TNT analysts posted on NBA.com last week:

"We as players, we always watch people before us. When I came in it was Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon, guys who played like true centers who played inside. What we have now are centers that are going to the European style, which is a lot of pick-and-roll. Dwight Howard, who's a pick-and-roll player, some people say he's the best center in the league, but me being an old-school center, I'm going to go with Robin Lopez and Andrew Bynum because they play with their back to the basket."

O'Neal is later asked if he meant Brook Lopez, not his twin brother, Robin.

"Brook. Same thing. They're brothers."

For the record, Brook Lopez has averaged 17.4 points per game during his career. As for Robin? 5.8 points per game.

O'Neal then continues his argument in favor of Lopez:

"Listen to what I'm saying. I'm not talking about dunking, I'm talking about playing like a big man with the moves. My man, before he had the foot injury, was putting up nice, solid big man numbers. He don't have a lot of flash, a la Tim Duncan, but he can play. If you put him with a nice team around him, you can get a lot from this big man. Like if you want to go to go to flash and dunking and the pick and roll, you gotta go with Dwight Howard. But me, the last true original dundaughta (slang for big timer), I'm going with Andrew Bynum and which Lopez? Brook. Brook Lopez."

Shaq made headlines last season when he claimed Bynum was better than Howard during a TNT broadcast.

He has been highly complementary of Lopez before, saying the Nets center reminds him of Duncan.

"Classy guy," O'Neal said, referring to Lopez. "You'll never hear about him getting in trouble. Great moves, great composure, and you're really not going to faze him. A couple guys will probably try to rough him up, but that's not going to faze him. Good player. Good player.
2044594, I guess rebounding and defense don't apply to his criteria
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Oct-03-12 03:45 PM
The fact that he got his name wrong in the first place tells you all you need to know.
2044598, Upping his analyst game this season already...
Posted by gmltheone, Wed Oct-03-12 03:57 PM

----------------------------
Same as it ever was!
2044602, I had never seen "dundaughta" typed out before. Not how I imagined it.
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Wed Oct-03-12 04:03 PM
Thanks, Mike Mazzeo from espn.com: http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1841273107/Feb._20_Mazzeo_Headshot.jpg
2044612, That ain't some widely agreed-upon spelling
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Oct-03-12 04:21 PM
I'd say you'd be more like to see Don Dada or Dun Dada than that
2044613, yeah i thought it was don dada.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Oct-03-12 04:21 PM
2044617, it is
Posted by Selah, Wed Oct-03-12 04:32 PM
2044858, I got that, I was just snarking on dude's spelling in the article.
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Thu Oct-04-12 10:21 AM
it was like the print version of James Lipton interviewing Prince and over-enunciating "Pussy Control."
2044827, this was the part to me that stuck out upon reading it as well
Posted by rjc27, Thu Oct-04-12 09:08 AM
dun doughta LOL,
2044622, he's a clown. nm
Posted by d., Wed Oct-03-12 04:44 PM
2044720, fucking douche...
Posted by Ink_Spot, Wed Oct-03-12 07:13 PM
2044795, the fuck is a dandaughta? DON DADA who wrote this
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Oct-04-12 05:30 AM
i kinda wanna write the editor on some 'cmon, son' shit

do or die
2044796, & 2 big 7 ft tall men named...brook & robin?
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Oct-04-12 05:30 AM
was their mother expecting twin girls?

i dont get it

do or die
2044805, RE: & 2 big 7 ft tall men named...brook & robin?
Posted by MarkyMark, Thu Oct-04-12 07:22 AM
>was their mother expecting twin girls?
>
>i dont get it
>
>
>do or die

I don't know, some Latino communities seem to really like some feminine names for boys. I grew up with two Columbians boys named Jaime (he went by Jay-me not Hi-may) and Robin.
2044806, Didn't he play with Robin in PHX?
Posted by bentagain, Thu Oct-04-12 07:27 AM
you think he would know the difference
2044812, lol let shaq hate on d12
Posted by rl9, Thu Oct-04-12 07:57 AM
not only did d12 jack the whole superman thing in orlando now that fool will play for rings with the other great pretender. biters. lol
2044821, Shaq is to Dwight what Barkley is to the Knicks
Posted by subjctmattr, Thu Oct-04-12 08:33 AM
Just hating to be hating.
2044822, the funny thing, last night during the debates
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Oct-04-12 08:34 AM
he described Obama's poker face as "Jordan Kobe"
2044826, just looking at the quotes he aint really say nothing wrong
Posted by Cenario, Thu Oct-04-12 08:59 AM
it seems like he's talking about who has more offensive moves aka a more polished game.

Seems like shaq just generating buzz knowing people'll run with it and say shaq said robin er brook lopez is a better player than 12.
2045428, Oh, Snaq is a petty, cheap shot taking cunt? That's not news.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Oct-05-12 12:06 PM
He's been that way his entire existence.
2045455, did Shaq ever have a real back to the basket game?
Posted by Justin_Maldonado_7, Fri Oct-05-12 01:18 PM
dude is straight shitting on his legacy as a 1-dimensional dunk-a-thon machine just to shit on D Howard...

D Howard = blue chips II

2158138, talk about it!
Posted by bentagain, Thu Apr-04-13 06:40 PM
2158143, 30 out of 30 GMs take D12 with a bad back over Brook.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Apr-04-13 06:47 PM
2158145, cool story, I missed the part where YOU disagreed with the OP
Posted by bentagain, Thu Apr-04-13 06:50 PM
BKN disagrees with you
2158520, I don't even know what this reply means but D12 is better so...
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Apr-05-13 04:45 PM
2158176, brook lopez was sorry tonite
Posted by LAbeathustla, Thu Apr-04-13 08:56 PM
2158180, LOLpez
Posted by Guinness, Thu Apr-04-13 09:01 PM
rough end of the game, brook. shitty turnover, blocked at the rim, missed three.
2158184, talk about a jinx, thanks bentagin
Posted by rjc27, Thu Apr-04-13 09:05 PM
up this post for no reason and lopez has his worst quarter of the year... damn rim was so friendly on both sides all night too
2158337, still better than D12, I'll up it again when he's 1st team all NBA
Posted by bentagain, Fri Apr-05-13 09:47 AM
2158340, he's definitely not better than D12, but okay.
Posted by Guinness, Fri Apr-05-13 10:20 AM
if you don't think the nets would deal brook for d12 in a heartbeat, you're not being real.
2158517, Problem is the coaching
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Fri Apr-05-13 04:42 PM
Lopez had 20 points in the first half against the Bulls. Then the Nets went away from Lopez and scored little in the third and four quarters. Lopez was on the bench for most of the 4th quarter but when he came back in for the final 5 minutes he was so cold and had no touch and made three mistakes costing us the game.

It is PJC's terrible coaching which has cost the Nets the chance to be the 2nd seed in the East. The Nets have the talent and have spent the money but our terrible rotations and coaching decisions are why we may not win a play-off series this year.
2171760, Season's over. Who would you rather have?
Posted by Melanism, Mon Apr-29-13 10:52 PM
2171771, As someone who really likes Lopez and hates Dwight's personality...
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Apr-29-13 11:11 PM
... I say anyone who picks Lopez over Dwight needs their head examined.
2171781, Demarcus Cousins FTW
Posted by FILF, Mon Apr-29-13 11:22 PM
2171849, D12 can be so dominant it's hard not to pick him
Posted by rjc27, Tue Apr-30-13 08:03 AM
but damn, Lopez has become so good offensively, he's played extremely well against a physical team in Chicago, has not had a bad game yet, plus he's blocking 4 shots per and he hits his free throws...

I think Lopez has at least made it debatable depending on the other parts of your team. Teams are so physical with Howard and you wonder how these nagging injuries will affect him going forward, plus as a person he's most unlikable player in the league. Lopez is younger, got stronger last offseason, can easily continue to get stronger and can still become a better rebounder and passer out of the post.

There is a legit chance Lopez keeps improving while Howard keeps going in the opposite direction
2171850, Lopez is way more versatile and rarely gets tangled up in ugly
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Apr-30-13 08:05 AM
shit in the post where you have to worry about him fouling out early or getting techs complaining to refs

better shooter I mean is it even a comparison

hits his free throws

becoming a positive influence to the team

definitely not as dominant but he makes up for it with a host of other strengths
2171851, anyone who thinks that RIGHT TODAY it's that much of a wash for D12
Posted by rjc27, Tue Apr-30-13 08:09 AM
isn't watching... Ryan M saying 30 out of 30 games? I think the Lakers beat the Spurs at least once with Lopez instead... He's not the presence D12 is inside, nobody is, but he IS a presence, he will redirect your shots, he will block your shots.

Not missing free throws late is HUGE, in that triple OT game hit 2 huge free throws with 30 seconds left, he was crashing the offensive boards last night.

Lopez is such a better offensive player, he yams on people every chance he gets, he runs the floor, he catches it at the top of the key and takes it the rack, he hits 18 foot jumpers in rhythm, he gets the foul line a lot and consistently makes free throws. And he's still young, and younger then Howard
2171854, he does his job. I mean I watched more Laker and Nets game than
Posted by T Reynolds, Tue Apr-30-13 08:24 AM
any other teams this year

I know D Ho got hot after Kobe went out but honestly it's hard to point out his incredible games let alone decent all around role player games

he has terrible mechanics in an area centers are supposed to move the best in aka two feet away from the fucking basket

Lopez isn't going up for any oops or anything but what other c get spot up from the top of the key and drain them as consistently as Lopez, and that's not to say that he's not yamming left and right and taking it to the hole from the top of the key like you said.

I will say I think it makes Deron LESS effective having a more versatile type of center in Lopez rather than a powerful anchor that can be a constant threat down low like D Ho, but I think it can work for the Nets going forward

2171868, Howard easily but Lopez closed the gap.
Posted by Cenario, Tue Apr-30-13 09:01 AM
2171879, Lopez is a much better offensive player
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Apr-30-13 09:50 AM
but Dwight Howard is better in every other aspect. Totallly depends on the team you have around either player. Lopez is in a near perfect team for his strenghts and weaknesses playing eith Deron Williams to set him up on the offensive end and Reggie Evans to clean up the glass for him.
2171897, Brook reminds me of pre-Lakers Pau.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Apr-30-13 10:40 AM
2171903, if contracts are part of the criteria ....Lopez
Posted by southphillyman, Tue Apr-30-13 10:49 AM
if not then Howard because when he's at his best he's better than lopez defensively and offensively
with the back issues and his performance this season i wouldn't pay double the money to sit back and cross my fingers hoping dude comes back 100% next yr AND fixes the flaws in his game/character
rather give lopez his lil $13 mil or whatever it is, have a top 3 center
spend my $20 mil 5 yr max on a better superstar and use the savings to either get another really good $13 mil level star or better role players