Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIn retrospect, did the Nuggets make one of the great star trades?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2041402
2041402, In retrospect, did the Nuggets make one of the great star trades?
Posted by Nodima, Wed Sep-26-12 11:13 PM

I'm watching the 2K release party stream from the 40/40 that's going on tonight, and they open it with a Rockets @ Nuggets clip. Definitely a lot of my hype is also wrapped up in the video game potential, but this squad is really looking like my favorite top to bottom lineup of the season.

PG: Lawson / Miller
SG: Iguodala/(Fournier/Corey Brewer)
SF: (Galinari/Chandler) / Iggy / Brewer
PF: Faried / Anthony Randolph
C: Mozgov / McGee / Koufos

They're not title contenders on paper, but this team is going to be fun as hell to watch, their only real weakness is depth at the 4, but they could go small with their speed and be a real fucking nuisance. If the stars align (the Lakers are one injury to Nash/Kobe/Howard at the wrong time away from being a low seed) for them they could go on a Pacers-like run and conceivably hit the conference finals.
2041405, i think the ceiling is the wcf...
Posted by selppataei, Wed Sep-26-12 11:30 PM
...depending on how seeding shakes out. okc and lal are still too much. i expect one more move. masai been ballin' since the melo trade.
2124315, no shot at WCF
Posted by Bombastic, Sat Feb-02-13 05:04 PM
2173660, L
Posted by selppataei, Fri May-03-13 01:38 AM
Masai's a free agent, btw.
2041407, same usual Nuggets outcome for that squad
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Sep-26-12 11:36 PM
48 wins or so, playoffs, with the right matchup maybe win a round, give a team a fight in the second, George Karl talking his usual bullshit and not winning.
2041419, karl sucks.
Posted by Guinness, Thu Sep-27-12 04:57 AM
but that squad is tough. a lineup of lawson/iggy/gallo/faried/mcgee will be insane on defense and in transition. they're an organization that knows what they're doing.
2041410, Yeah, and so did the Grizzlies (if you consider pre-Kobe Pau a star)
Posted by theeraser, Thu Sep-27-12 12:48 AM
2041441, just keep repeating it and eventually someone else will think it's true
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 09:58 AM
A for effort with this guy.
2041501, Well, according to this guy's logic. Memphis and Denver both better now.
Posted by theeraser, Thu Sep-27-12 11:54 AM
2041638, how many playoff games did MEM win with Pau Gasol? I'll wait...
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-27-12 04:14 PM
3 years removed from the OMG trade to the LAL

and they have back-to-back playoff appearances

took the LAC to 7 this year (1st round exit)

beat SAN the year before (2nd round, yay)

both improvements over what they did with Pau

DEN got to the WCF with Melo

hard to say they are better without him
2041416, they're sleeper title contenders.
Posted by Guinness, Thu Sep-27-12 04:16 AM
should be a top five team this season.
2041422, i dont know about title contenders, but they'll win a lt of games in the reg
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 05:53 AM
Season...I say around mid 50s
2041433, they have zero shot at winning a title without several plane crashes n/m
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Sep-27-12 09:48 AM
2041452, LOL. Funny because it's true
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Sep-27-12 10:25 AM
2041442, i swear...
Posted by Basaglia, Thu Sep-27-12 10:03 AM
2041491, lulz.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Thu Sep-27-12 11:37 AM

2041552, This is saying something, but this is the dumbest thing you've said.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Sep-27-12 01:38 PM
On this board.

Ever.
2041786, I agree.
Posted by BSharp, Thu Sep-27-12 11:32 PM
Nearly all of their top players are game breakers: Gallinari, Dre Miller, Lawson, McGee, & Iguodala. Faried's ceiling is sky high, and Chandler is rock solid.

It's a shame what happened with Birdman, because he was a force just a few years back.

They don't really have any real weaknesses in their roster, except for the fact that they don't have a legitimate All-NBA leader, but how many of those guys exist in the league anyway?
2041793, literally none of those dudes are 'game breakers' as far as I can tell
Posted by Bombastic, Fri Sep-28-12 12:25 AM
>Nearly all of their top players are game breakers:
>Gallinari, Dre Miller, Lawson, McGee, & Iguodala. Faried's
>ceiling is sky high, and Chandler is rock solid.
>
solid, deep, sure......scary? no.

>They don't really have any real weaknesses in their roster,
>except for the fact that they don't have a legitimate All-NBA
>leader,
oh, that's it?

>but how many of those guys exist in the league
>anyway?
enough that one or a few together will fuck up the Denver Nuggets in a playoff series.
2041897, ?
Posted by BSharp, Fri Sep-28-12 12:36 PM
>>Nearly all of their top players are game breakers:
>>Gallinari, Dre Miller, Lawson, McGee, & Iguodala. Faried's
>>ceiling is sky high, and Chandler is rock solid.
>>
>solid, deep, sure......scary? no.

Scary to who? You are saying that teams would love to play Denver? As opposed to who? OKC? The Lakers? The Spurs? Dirk and the Mavericks? They almost advanced last year, and they should be better this year.

They've done a great job assembling their roster. Do you disagree?

>>They don't really have any real weaknesses in their roster,
>>except for the fact that they don't have a legitimate
>All-NBA
>>leader,

>oh, that's it?

Last I checked Dwayne Wade and Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash and Kevin Garnett and others have failed to lead their team to the playoffs in the past.

>>but how many of those guys exist in the league
>>anyway?
>enough that one or a few together will fuck up the Denver
>Nuggets in a playoff series.

So by your estimation, how many teams actually have a chance?
2042037, here's how i see it.
Posted by Guinness, Sat Sep-29-12 03:41 AM
denver had the 11th best record in the nba last season. they had the top scoring offense with the third-best rating and the fastest pace. defense was ranked 20th. their "expected" record, based on those numbers, would have been 9th in the nba.

chandler and gallo missed much of last season, mcgee was a late addition, and guys like lawson and mozgov are coming into their prime. faried is a baller and fournier could be another late-round contributor. then you add in iggy, the second-best perimeter defender in the NBA and a dynamic uptempo player.

it's not mind-boggling to suggest that a good young team who added impact players on defense will win five more games than last year (if we project last season's winning percentage over an 82 game season). shit, they were three games away from having the fifth-best record last season, although there was a logjam of teams in that range.

as far as denver being a contender? i don't think anyone is beating the heat. but denver, to me, is only slightly less likely to come out of the west than LAL or OKC. and i could see them giving the lakers all kinds of trouble, as they did last year. LOL @ nash and kobe trying to check lawson and iggy in transition.
2041813, oh god (c) big sean
Posted by Cenario, Fri Sep-28-12 05:55 AM
Javale mcgee is a game breaker??
2041885, You didn't see him in the playoffs last year?
Posted by BSharp, Fri Sep-28-12 12:21 PM
Of course he's wildly inconsistent, but he and Dre took over that game. (Was it Game 5?)
2041895, lol @ that game
Posted by Cenario, Fri Sep-28-12 12:34 PM
2041898, Yes. A deep team.
Posted by BSharp, Fri Sep-28-12 12:38 PM
A deep team does not need to rely on Javale McGee dominating every single night, or in every single quarter or half.
2041904, Ok, i guess big baby and nate robinson are game breakers too
Posted by Cenario, Fri Sep-28-12 12:46 PM
remember 'that game' they took over the 4th qtr in the finals?
2041909, I don't remember ever seeing Big Baby...
Posted by BSharp, Fri Sep-28-12 12:54 PM
...take over a game. I do think that on a deep team without scoring punch off the bench, Nate Robinson could indeed be a game breaker.

This shit was impressive, you must agree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp4JzOmOGSo
2041917, here ya go.
Posted by Cenario, Fri Sep-28-12 01:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=300610002
2041911, Title? FOH, but yeah, I think they are top 5 team in the West quite possibly
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Sep-28-12 12:57 PM
nm
2124334, LOL WHAT
Posted by RaFromQueens, Sat Feb-02-13 05:54 PM
2170908, lulz
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Apr-28-13 11:32 PM
2173877, Good call!
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri May-03-13 12:09 PM

2041440, I think more accurately James Dolan made one of the worst
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 09:57 AM
but otherwise, yes, the Nuggets did very well for themselves when they moved Carmelo.
2041445, they both improved..Felton-billups was a wash. Knicks weren't
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 10:16 AM
re-signing Chandler so that was moot. It was basically gallo and lolmozgovlol for Melo an obvious win for the knicks. The bad part for the knicks was that melo got the old max deal. Possibly there was a better deal that could have been had if Dolan didn't involve himself but just looking at the moving pieces it was a good trade for ny.
2041459, but as we've covered, Dolan negotiated against himself into a worse deal
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 10:35 AM
and I don't say that to be dismissive, I just say it to say I know it's a topic we've chopped up on here before.

my only point really is that as good as Denver did, if they were negotiating against a stronger counter-party in the Melo deal, they probably would have come away with less. they got the best deal possible because they made it with one of the weakest players in the roster management game.

it hasn't ended the franchise or anything and Melo in NYC might still work, just pointing out what a stooge Dolan was in those negotiations which definitely helped Denver imo.
2041468, i understand and addressed that
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 10:46 AM
>Possibly there was a better deal that could have been had if Dolan didn't involve himself but just looking at the moving pieces it was a good trade for ny.

just pointing out that whether the knicks could have made a better deal or not has no bearing on whether the trade improved the knicks or not.
2041456, ...but didn't the NYK improve and the DEN get worse...
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-27-12 10:30 AM
hate to muddy up the sentiment with actual facts

but DEN with Carmelo was an above .600 team before he left

and the NYK weren't making the playoffs

so...

NO
2041458, wow i always had you bunched with the illogical philly haters so this
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 10:33 AM
was a pleasant suprise. Unless i'm thinking about someone else.
2041461, but consider recent A+ star departures and how their former teams did
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 10:40 AM
Lebron leaves Cleveland -- nightmare ensues
Pau leaves Memphis -- takes years and years for the team to recover while Pau hoists multiple championship trophies
Dwight leaves Orlando -- returns aren't in yet, but do you seriously expect them to be anywhere besides the basement?
Bosh leaves Toronto -- T Dot's long basketball nightmare continues unabated

I guess you could say Derron is another case where it evened out on both sides, but I kinda forget the particulars of what went on with Utah except they're stuck in the NBA middle class which many pundits now say is the worst place possible. NJ is a trainwreck but I think that's unrelated to Derron (and we'll have a more clear picture this year in Brooklyn)

so yeah, it's not the WORST TRADE EVER! but compared to what other teams got in return for an A-List departure, Denver did very well for themselves.
2041473, ...WOW! Exaggerate much?
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-27-12 10:55 AM
first of all

3 of your examples are FA departures, so I'm not sure how they are relevant

but you do know MEM was the dog of the league the last 2 years Pau was there

winning +20 something games

and yet they didn't get worse after he left

they had a couple of high water years with Pau

but he left during the 08' season

and MEM was a problem in the 11' offs

so I don't know where you get these years and years

they improved almost immediately after he left (they kind of treaded water the first year)

if I had to make a correlation to the Melo trade from the FA departures

it would be how imperative it is to trade that player instead of just letting him walk away

the teams that didn't trade their star have a lot harder road to rebuilding

than the teams that actually got something in return

kind of funny when you consider that Melo was telling the world he wanted to be traded for what seemed like forever

tryin to help you out

2041476, exactly
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 11:07 AM
>kind of funny when you consider that Melo was telling the world he wanted to be traded for what seemed like forever

People fail to give Melo credit for letting denver know early that he wasn't going to re-sign with them as opposed to 12, lebron etc. basically waffling and making their plans a mystery. Denver was able to get the deal they did, in part, bc they knew that melo wanted out. They didn't make stupid short sighted trades in the hopes of getting melo to stay (cle, orl) or waste time considering their future with him.
2041485, get your facts straight: Bosh + Bron were traded to Miami
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 11:29 AM
and I was reading articles two years prior to their FA departure about the impending Decision, so don't try to sell me some bullshit about how their teams just had the rugs pulled out from under them when those two guys decided to leave.

Cleveland and Toronto had an opportunity to mitigate those losses, and they didn't do well with that opportunity.

Denver had the same opportunity and they did as well as could be expected. they didn't give up and ship Melo once the writing was on the wall, they held out until the trade deadline to get the best value. they found two teams to play against each other and used the deadline crunch to gain extra concessions from NYK. they were in a difficult position and played it as well as could be expected.

and shit, why not add the Shaq trade, which plunged LA into a basement team upon his departure as well. Pau's Memphis years were whatever, I'm really bored of watching Laker + Kobe stans try to rewrite history about what happened in that deal. the owner of the team came out the day after and said it was a bad deal and they could have done better, I don't know what else you want.
2041492, sign + trades, while technically right, not much of a difference
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-27-12 11:42 AM
kind of a desperation move

all they got back were picks

and Bron+Bosh got extra $$$

still feels like FA signings to me

but if it makes you feel better, OKay

still not sure how it compares to Melo being traded for a roster

those franchises would have faired better making an actual trade

you know, during the season, for actual players

than waiting til' the end of the season and hoping the ball bounces in your favor

as illustrated in the Melo trade
2041499, b/c Denver's mgmt had the same shitty hand, played it much, much better
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 11:51 AM
Lebron we can cross off because Cleveland had little choice but to hope that he would re-up with them. shipping him before the summer and declining the option of playing on Bron's loyalty would be unacceptable for obvious reasons, so I understand that from their perspective. they got hosed, it clearly wasn't the best available way, in W-L terms, to resolve that, but it was their only real option there. I do get that.

but if you compare to Bosh in Toronto? what the HELL were they doing? and you compare to Dwight in Orlando? what IDIOTS that they didn't ride this out till the trade deadline! you really think the crap they got in return wouldn't still be available in some form or another in February?

and I guess I'm leaving out Chris Paul, but the special circumstances of that deal make it pretty difficult to offer in comparison to anything else in the history of the NBA. oh and I'm forgetting KG in part b/c I forget the particulars of that deal, but I can't recall a person in the world crowing that as a victory for Minnesota.

but yeah, the point is -- Denver was given a shitty hand, a shitty hand which is comparable to other recent NBA situations of note, and out of all those organizations they played the hand the best. which is why it's the "best start deal" of recent memory like the post says.
2041504, why was denver's hand shitty? they had a young all star that more
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 11:58 AM
than one team wanted and they knew he didn't want to stay. What is so bad about that situation?

The only thing better is if Melo wanted to stay lol. You can even argue that they are better off without having melo's handicap of a contract. I mean hindsight says that they are b.c of the moves they were able to make after the trade.
2041508, they had an A-List star they couldn't keep a la D12, Bosh, Shaq et. al.
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 12:04 PM
and out of all those situations, they navigated it the best. the only other team I'd make a case for is Utah with Deron, cuz they didn't wait, they just did the damn thing instead of letting it turn into a soap opera.

but yeah, Denver had a valuable chip, same as Orlando, Toronto, Minnesota, Memphis, that was determined to leave and out of all those teams they got the most value in return for their chip. you can try and credit Melo's handling of the situation for that all you want, but these things don't happen in a vacuum, management deserves credit for managing it well themselves.
2041536, and...
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 01:11 PM
you can try and credit denver's handling of the situation for that all you want, but these things don't happen in a vacuum. You are refusing to ackowledge that had melo gave denver any inkling that he was interested in staying, things would have likely transpired very differently.

2041541, I knew Bosh was leaving Toronto in like '03, how did they NOT??
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 01:19 PM
and here's where the Utah example is worthwhile.

Utah wasn't stupid, they knew Deron was in a position to hold a lot of leverage in the following year, so instead of waiting + hoping, they made a reasonable prediction of what was to unfold and pulled the trigger at the time when they saw they had the most leverage. nobody needed to tell anybody their feelings on the matter, you can look at the contract, look around the league, and make a safe prediction of what's to come.

Dwight did the exact same shit as Melo in stating that he wanted out and gave a list of acceptable teams but somehow Orlando STILL fucked all that up as the other super obvious comparison.

Denver did the best with what they had, which was very, very similar to the boat other teams have found themselves in. Melo's public statements on the matter were one of the least important details in how they navigated that deal.
2041545, don't know what toronto was doing so sure they messed that up on
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 01:25 PM
their own. lol i see you conveniently forgot 12 saying that he didn't want to get traded and signing an extension with Orlando so no he didn't do the exact same thing as melo lmao.
2041566, this D12 summer = identical to Denver's last Melo summer
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 02:02 PM
Orlando, like Denver, had a franchise player on the last year of his contract. Orlando, like Denver, had been told by that player that he would be leaving upon termination of that contract. Orlando, like Denver, was given a shortlist of teams that were acceptable trading partners for the player.

Denver did the smart thing, sat on it, and waited it out until the moment where they could get the best deal possible, and it shows in their play since then. Orlando, on the other hand, caved early and gave up any and all leverage they had in the negotiations by acting like it was a firesale in July when they still had another 8-10 months before a real solid deadline, and it shows in the utter crap they got in return.

ditto for Shaq I believe, ditto for KG?

but the point is Denver looks good now cuz they did good on their star deal. other teams didn't, and it shows.
2041569, this year, what possible trade destinations were there for 12?
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 02:06 PM
They had already lost out on the best option NJ, because they waited to long with 12 waffling back and forth. NJ said f you and handled they business. That left orl with La being the only possible destination left.
2041573, well we'll never know, will we? cuz they did the deal now, not later
Posted by celery77, Thu Sep-27-12 02:11 PM
and that's why you wait till the deadline, cuz it's not like the LA option was gonna CLOSE. Orlando had the big chip, like you said, you think LA was gonna lose interest in Dwight by February as opposed to their interest in July? why not ride it out, ratchet up pressure on your trading partners, ratchet up pressure on Dwight, and wait until the moment when you've seen all options and can safely choose the best one. by doing the deal in July, they sacrificed any and all leverage they could have had in the deal, and it shows in the return they got, ESPECIALLY when you compare it to the Denver deal, which could have been done in July that summer, too, but Denver was smart enough to maximize the return on what they held.
2041576, lol no...they waited tooo long to do the deal and that's why the
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 02:16 PM
trade sucked lol
2041795, exactly, they had a better deal from Jersey all year than what they got
Posted by Bombastic, Fri Sep-28-12 12:27 AM
and they gave Billy King too much time to panic & fuck it up.

I mean, I'm not really complaining because the Sixers swoop in & at least benefitted from it but acting too quickly was certainly not the Magic's issue.
2041549, I would also like to add some revisions to the MEM post Pau perception
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-27-12 01:31 PM
after 2 seasons removed from the trade of Pau

MEM actually won it's first playoff game and playoff series

upsetting the #1 seed SAN

at the time, I can understand the league wide reaction

in trading an all-star for his little brother (it's kind of hard to follow all of the trades of the picks involved, but I think it ended up being Darrell Arthur and Greivis Vasquez as well)

but 3 years later, they are a better franchise w/o Pau

the Timberwolves and Magic scenarios are more indicative of terrible management decisions

MIN got 7 players for KG

and picks

the draft they took Thabeet with the #2, they literally could have picked anybody else and done better

the team KG left behind is kind of comparable to the ORL roster after the D12 trade

kind of leaning toward management screwing those up

and not so much that they didn't get value

but they constructed a team that wasn't going to win a chip

and have to start over

the CP3 trade could easily turn out the same as the MEM situation

NOR didn't have great success with CP3

now they have some pieces

I think they won 1 playoff series with CP3 (could be wrong)

2041575, yeah. the Lakers 'won' that trade
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Sep-27-12 02:13 PM
but MEM didn't LOSE either... that's the main thing people forget.

the same thing will happen if LAL wins another chip off this D12 shit
but PHI ends up beasting w/Bynum

one of the few times a "Super Trade" that usually fucks teams in the NBA doesn't
2041509, you lost me, sounded like you were agreeing with me
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-27-12 12:05 PM
then you threw in CP3 and hit the wayback machine for KG

NOR got Kaman, Gordon, and I think their pick turned into Austin Rivers

what did the picks for Bron and Bosh turn into

I'll wait...

I think CLE, mostly due to Dan Gilbert's delusion, thought they had a Chip team as constructed

so why would they trade Bron after being a shit franchise for over a decade

kind of the same with ORL

they thought that roster was a Chip contender (Otis?)

the TOR thing is just stupid unless Bosh had a no trade clause

then they were kind of limited in what they could do

but again

if all 3 instances were handled like the Melo deal

those franchises would be better off today

compared to waiting for picks (literally, waiting)

what are we arguing again?

Nobody wants to talk about the Bynum trade?

we gave up Iggy (our "Star"), Vuc(a rookie) and a draft pick (Harkless)

for a franchise center (I'm hoping)

that's a great trade IMO
2041495, lol @ calling bosh and lebron 'trades'...if those were real 'trades'
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 11:47 AM
pop and every other owner/coach would be writing letters to stern.
2041912, It wasn't a rental trade, it was a long-haul move
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Sep-28-12 12:59 PM
Knicks are still stuck on the road getting swept or beat in five games in the playoffs.

Nuggets ran in place vis a vis playoff position and may be improving.

Denver got better, the Knicks stayed the same in the long view. The Knicks are still too weak in a weak conference, I mean the East is really going to be shit this year with Orlando and Chicago each taking major hits. If they cannot win a series this year, bang, dead issue, an embarrassing failure and the latest in a series of those.
2041486, Being that the Knicks should be battling for the 2 seed in the East
Posted by subjctmattr, Thu Sep-27-12 11:32 AM
NO!!
2041494, I don't understand this post at all.
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Thu Sep-27-12 11:45 AM
Are you saying that, as currently constructed, they're underachieving by not nabbing the 2 seed? Or are you saying that, without the Melo trade, they'd be in contention for the 2 seed?

I think both statements are a little crazy, for the record, but I'm curious.
2041496, he's saying that the knicks willl be battling for the #2 seed thisyear
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 11:48 AM
2041498, and he's laughably, hilariously wrong per usual in regards to the Knicks
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Sep-27-12 11:51 AM
2041505, agreed.
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 12:00 PM
2041663, Explain what team in the East (besides Miami) is obviously better?
Posted by subjctmattr, Thu Sep-27-12 05:18 PM
And please explain why?

Boston?
We should be able to compete with them why the fuck should we not be battling for the 2 seed?
2041669, Celtics. Nets. Pacers.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Sep-27-12 05:32 PM
All agendas aside...

- Not convinced Carmelo is the leader the Knicks need him to be.
- Your starting PF is a poor rebounder and average defender. And that will cause problems for...
- Your defensive anchor Tyson Chandler. Bulls fans have seen this for the past two seasons. When Noah has to cover for Booozer, he gets in foul trouble early. Not sure what Kurt Thomas has left in the tank. Him and
- Marcus Camby, who btw? 16 years in the league
- I liked Ronnie Brewer when he was here in Chicago in Thibs defensive system, but he's not a replacement for Shump.
- J.R. Smith

01 Heat
02 Celtics
03 Nets
04 Pacers
05 Knicks
06 Sixers
07 Bulls
08 Cavaliers
2041700, Celtics. Nets. Pacers....not scared of any of them.
Posted by subjctmattr, Thu Sep-27-12 06:53 PM
>- Not convinced Carmelo is the leader the Knicks need him to
>be.

Melo's not the leader of the team. He's the #1 option. There's a difference. We know he's not a leader. That's why we got all the veteran leadership.

>- Your starting PF is a poor rebounder and average defender.

My starting PF in the worst year of his career averaged 9 boards and 17 points. I'll take that. Let's not forget how good my PF is.

>And that will cause problems for...
>- Your defensive anchor Tyson Chandler. Bulls fans have seen
>this for the past two seasons. When Noah has to cover for
>Booozer, he gets in foul trouble early. Not sure what Kurt
>Thomas has left in the tank.

My defensive anchor Tyson will be just fucking fine. Worry about your squad.

>- Marcus Camby, who btw? 16 years in the league

And he was the best offensive rebounder in the league last year. We want him to come off the bench. How many people have a back up center that good?

>- I liked Ronnie Brewer when he was here in Chicago in Thibs
>defensive system, but he's not a replacement for Shump.

He's a stop gap for Shump. Shump is still our guy, but we needed someone to fill in and we got a great defender for league minimum. Act like its not a good pick up if you want to.

>- J.R. Smith

Instant offense off the bench. Every team needs one.

>01 Heat
>02 Celtics
>03 Nets
>04 Pacers
>05 Knicks
>06 Sixers
>07 Bulls
>08 Cavaliers

We can compete with the C's. They'll be banking on KG and he's not getting younger. Our old guys come off the bench. They're old guys start. Not saying that we'll surely beat them out, but my point is we'll be competing for the 2 seed.

You have the Nets 3rd? Based on what? Its the EXACT same team as last year plus Joes contract. They'll be better but damn dudes is really drinking the Kool Aid based on Joe Johnson. And you wanna talk about a non rebounding mother fucker?? Look at Brook.

Again the Pacers. We had a better year than them last year record wise, and we played half the year with no point guard and D'antoni as the coach. You believe the Pacers after that playoff performance. I don't. We'll see. I ain't worried about them.
2041701, And I said the Knicks SHOULD be battling for the 2 seed.
Posted by subjctmattr, Thu Sep-27-12 06:58 PM
We SHOULD be battling to win our division.
2041709, MFers actin like BOS didn't kill this draft. If Jeff Green plays for
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-27-12 07:19 PM
them this year, BOS might be a MFin problem

IDK, they might even have improved

DAYUM lookin at that roster hurt me

The Nets might make the playoffs

FOH with them being in the mix

2041774, RE: Celtics. Nets. Pacers....not scared of any of them.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Sep-27-12 10:32 PM
>Melo's not the leader of the team. He's the #1 option.

2041716, keep sleeping on the sixers, smh.
Posted by southphillyman, Thu Sep-27-12 07:30 PM
better coached team than the knicks
less distractions
younger (fwiw)
and bynum might be motivated to beast before hitting free agency......
2124373, L'S HERE...COME SIGN UP FOR YOUR L'S RIGHT HERE PLEASE!!!
Posted by subjctmattr, Sat Feb-02-13 06:57 PM
2128556, Nice...my bad son
Posted by Cenario, Sat Feb-09-13 10:56 AM
2147193, http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2t0pylg8G1r8wmb0.gif
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Mar-14-13 12:23 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2t0pylg8G1r8wmb0.gif
2147196, lmao...we still battling tho!
Posted by Cenario, Thu Mar-14-13 12:27 PM
2041512, Denver is regular season good
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Thu Sep-27-12 12:23 PM
Nobody cares about regular season good.
2041537, lol exactly. it only matters if you're regular season good if you are
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 01:13 PM
used to being in the lottery. Once you are regular season good then next step is to contend..if not you're failing. see atlanta.
2041629, ..And the Knicks are neither.
Posted by Szabo, Thu Sep-27-12 03:58 PM
2041517, Stick to video games
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-27-12 12:34 PM
2041571, they are the best team in the league
Posted by southphillyman, Thu Sep-27-12 02:10 PM
on my 2k12 season with roster updates
and iggy is a MVP candidate who getting more ASG votes than kobe
for whatever that's worth.....
2041653, Hahahahaha.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Sep-27-12 04:52 PM
>on my 2k12 season with roster updates
>and iggy is a MVP candidate who getting more ASG votes than
>kobe
>for whatever that's worth.....
2041657, lol i'm so glad i read the message before responding
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 05:05 PM
I was enraged at the title.
2041590, also what are the records of each team since the trade?
Posted by southphillyman, Thu Sep-27-12 02:30 PM
i know at one point last yr denver had a double digit win advantage despite playing in the tougher conference
the j.lin run might have equalized that a bit though....
knicks got the better player obviously
but the nuggets basically kept on trucking without melo, have better cap flexibility(or at least did when the trade was made), and some how probably have a better shot to win a title
maybe if the knicks make it out the 1st round this year(or win two games at least geez) it might begin to equal out but i think right now denver has done better post trade
2041593, lol cosign for the most part.
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 02:35 PM
2041632, Pretty much.
Posted by Szabo, Thu Sep-27-12 04:01 PM
How people can talk stupid Would be, Could be shit with the Knicks is amazing to me. Denver were a 6th seed in the west vs. Knicks 7th seed in the weak ass east. And they only made Playoff's because of a period Melo wasn't even playing...
2041659, they finished 18-6 under woodson, if i remember correctly melo played
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-27-12 05:06 PM
Ferociously all those games.
2041821, they were 8-0 during linsanity.
Posted by Guinness, Fri Sep-28-12 07:46 AM
2041825, and then they were 18-24 and out of the playoff picture.
Posted by Cenario, Fri Sep-28-12 08:08 AM
2041676, http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu138/rgfhgdghhfd/ai-billups.jpg
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Thu Sep-27-12 05:54 PM
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu138/rgfhgdghhfd/ai-billups.jpg
2041715, Told yal before theyre going to be in the WCF
Posted by SeV, Thu Sep-27-12 07:29 PM

Dallas Heatvricks BACK 2 BACK CHAMPS!!
2041797, False. Lakers are three injuries away from a low seed.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Sep-28-12 12:34 AM
>the Lakers are one
>injury to Nash/Kobe/Howard at the wrong time away from being a
>low seed

You've got to be joking.

D12 goes down, they still have Nash-Kobe-Pau.
Kobe goes down? Nash-Dwight-Pau.
Nash? Kobe-Dwight-Pau.
Pau? Dwight-Kobe-Nash.

If two guys go down, it depends on which two. If it's both guards or both big men- especially both big men- then it's potentially catastrophic. If it's one of each, in any combination, we're still in excellent shape with a big two that are perfectly capable of doing some serious heavy lifting, especially with Tawn being around (offensively speaking, of course) as the #5 man able to slide over to the 4 if one of the big men go down. He'd still be the third or fourth option depending on the specifics of such an event, and he's a nice piece to have at that point in the rotation.

So, unless it's Pau and Dwight at the same time for a prolonged period of time, we've still got a legit shot at top 4 seeding. Title hopes diminish but we need to lose three of the 4 for it to make us drop that low. Artest and Tawn are our 5/6 players, unless Jordan continues his growth, in which case this is a completely different conversation.
2041910, 'Retrospect?' They KILLED that trade, man, set the new standard
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Sep-28-12 12:56 PM
Up to that point look at the return for stars who had been traded recently. On the high end you had Shaq (two semi stars and a filler contract), KG (one good young big guy who didn't really stick) and TMac (two emo ass guards who'd already peaked). On the low end you had guys like AI and Barkley being given away or maybe some low-key salvage type of shit (Gasol for Gasol).

Melo set a new standard, you saw a similar deal with Deron right afterward and you saw the league step in and say if the Hornets couldn't get that kind of quality, they shouldn't fuck with a deal for Paul.

So, uh, yeah, the Nuggs got a great deal and it's been known since the minute the trade was announced. I would take it a step further, not only did they win the deal from a relative standpoint, they won the deal outright. Already their team is as good as it was and the pieces they retained are still improving.
2041931, They didn't get much out of the trade itself.
Posted by fats, Fri Sep-28-12 01:57 PM
Gallo and Chandler, and those they had to give big contracts to to hold onto. Mozgov's got little value, and Felton they flipped into Miller, who they could have signed this past offseason anyway. All the picks involved are due in like 2015, so they've gotten nothing there.

The depth of the Nuggs is due more to having very few misses over all their transactions the past 3-5 years. Every trade they've bought low and sold high and had two big hits in getting Lawson and Faried with late round picks. The impact of the Melo trade's kind of overblown.
2041983, i agree WCF is the ceiling IRL but as a 2K team you can beat anyone
Posted by DolphinTeef, Fri Sep-28-12 04:19 PM
2042431, Definitely one of the deepest teams in the league
Posted by UpNorth, Sun Sep-30-12 10:46 AM
2124312, agenda magma-cauldron simmering
Posted by Guinness, Sat Feb-02-13 05:03 PM
2124316, title contenders(c)G
Posted by Bombastic, Sat Feb-02-13 05:05 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
2124317, yup!
Posted by Guinness, Sat Feb-02-13 05:18 PM
12-2 over last 14 games.
20-3 at home.
gonna get that fourth seed and wax the grizz or golden state in the first round.
don't see them beating OKC at all though

the fact that the nugs are 26th in defensive rebounding (despite having faried, mcgee and koufos) is truly a testament to karl's nonsensical line-up management. so that's always a threat to upend the AGENDA MAGMA-CAULDRON

at least it'll be fun when the nugs have a better record than the knicks in a week.
2124321, hot streak & still a 6 seed. Your best-case scenario has em @ a 2nd Rd L
Posted by Bombastic, Sat Feb-02-13 05:23 PM
Denver Nuggetzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
2124325, how you figure?
Posted by Guinness, Sat Feb-02-13 05:26 PM
spurs have the number one seed. nugs wouldn't play OKC until WCF if things stay as is. think they could give the spurs problems.

they're very good. with lawson finally playing well and their schedule less insane, the nugs' record is starting to reflect things more accurately.
2124340, they're at six right now, they'd have to beat the Clips & then play OKC
Posted by Bombastic, Sat Feb-02-13 06:03 PM
they still have a better chance of losing first round then being a Conference Finals team & their only shot at a title remains multiple plane crashes.

If you wanna get some action on them winning two rounds of playoffs in the West, I'm down.
2124319, crawled up to the 6th seed after nice lil 6 game win streak
Posted by southphillyman, Sat Feb-02-13 05:21 PM
that included 1.5 quality teams
they might be starting to put it together now though
second half push should be REAL interesting for the west
memphis and LAC likely dropping. houston and portland trying stay in the mix
LAL surging,etc
2124322, the west is fantastic this season.
Posted by Guinness, Sat Feb-02-13 05:24 PM
too bad minny got ravaged by injuries, they would have been tough too. the east needs d-rose, bynum and granger to come back and make things interesting in the playoffs.

OH CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT RUDY GAY'S "COUPLE OF PLAYOFFS RUNS" NOW? YOU MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN TO REPLY IN OTHER THREAD THANKS
2124350, answered
Posted by southphillyman, Sat Feb-02-13 06:09 PM
2128368, sixth-best record in the NBA.
Posted by Guinness, Fri Feb-08-13 06:12 PM
currently in the four seed.
2128370, Not Saying They Aren't Impressive
Posted by RexLongfellow, Fri Feb-08-13 06:29 PM
But I don't see them beating Golden State, even with home court
If they play Memphis though, they move to the 2nd round

The only top 3 Western team they have a shot of beating is LAC. I think Memphis is their only real chance to advance past the 1st round
2128373, denver is 3-1 against golden state this year.
Posted by Guinness, Fri Feb-08-13 06:45 PM
warriors aren't as good as their record, anyway. they're slightly better than mediocre, although bogut being back might improve them.
2128389, Maybe...I Think It Would Be a Tough Matchup For Them
Posted by RexLongfellow, Fri Feb-08-13 07:18 PM
They've been better as of late. The 3-1 says Denver, but 3 out of those 4 games were in November. GS has been way better since then.

I think Memphis on down can be taken by Denver. It's just that GS and the way they're playing right today, they can do everything Denver can do, and they play better defense.
2128524, I think they would beat GS in a series.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Feb-09-13 02:36 AM
Their record is better, they have won head to head and they had a stumbling start. GS had a hot one. Recently, the Nuggets have been playing much better.
2173897, ^^^soothsayer
Posted by ErnestLee, Fri May-03-13 12:33 PM
>But I don't see them beating Golden State, even with home

2128371, Guiness: "You know, the Atlanta Hawks are usually contenders"
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Feb-08-13 06:38 PM
2128374, oh, look who it is!
Posted by Guinness, Fri Feb-08-13 06:46 PM
here's the guy who called my prediction of the nugs being a "top five team and a sleeper contender" one of the stupidest things he's ever read.

nugs: top six team, winner of eight in a row, SLEEPER title contender.

HI!
2128376, It's February. n/m
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Feb-08-13 06:54 PM
(BTW, I saw you pre-edit. Don't be coy now.)
2128380, LOL
Posted by Guinness, Fri Feb-08-13 07:00 PM
coy? i just remembered you were one of the jackasses who over-reacted to a prediction that was reasonable at the time and, now, seemingly prescient. just be glad you're not on the flame-engulfed anti-harden raft.
2128422, LOL at "sleeper", they have absolutely no chance of winning a title
Posted by DJR, Fri Feb-08-13 08:37 PM
2128433, name some sleeper contenders, then.
Posted by Guinness, Fri Feb-08-13 08:54 PM
2128451, I can't really see anyone as a "sleeper contender"
Posted by DJR, Fri Feb-08-13 09:22 PM
Because sleepers don't win in the NBA. You're either a contender, or you're not. They're a good 50+ win team, but not a real contender IMO.

2128454, Exactly.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Feb-08-13 09:25 PM
There's like 5 teams with a shot at a title at any given time.

This season it appears that list is:

OKC
San Antonio
Miami
Clippers

Honestly, I don't see anyone else. The 2nd tier has your Knicks, Pacers, and Denvers, but nobody has them winning a title.
2128525, They are no more a sleeper than Dallas was, so ...
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Feb-09-13 02:37 AM
While I do not think they are a contender, I could definitely see them in the second round. You never know what can happen. Favorable matchup. Injury luck. They are good enough to pay attention to, that's really the standard in the NBA as there are usually 2-4 clear-ish contenders and that's it.
2128536, Yeah...yeah they are.
Posted by Ryan M, Sat Feb-09-13 04:14 AM
Dallas had a MVP in Dirk. While nobody picked them preseason, you think Denver has the possibility of running thru the best players on earth en route to a title? This ain't football dude...it doesn't happen.
2128560, they had Dirk
Posted by DJR, Sat Feb-09-13 11:20 AM
One of the top players in the game. Completely different IMO.

Generally, if you don't have one of those guys, you aren't a real contender.

And yeah, Denver can win a playoff series.....maybe 2, though that would be a hell of an achievement for them. They aren't going beyond that.
2129403, so what makes the knicks different
Posted by NAPO, Mon Feb-11-13 11:30 AM
yes, i understand that melo never won an MVP award like Dirk did, but you can argue that melo is a dirk like superstar player and the knicks a squad very much constructed like that Dallas team. if they are healthy and get hot at the right time they are def. first tier contenders.

--------------------------
"cock your hat -- angles are attitudes"
-frank sinatra
2129407, thats def true. however, no one gave dirk his due until after
Posted by Cenario, Mon Feb-11-13 11:32 AM
he won that chip. No one was seriously considering dallas as contenders, many had them getting upset in the 1st round that year. That's where people are considering the knicks and melo right now and its valid.
2128647, I'm (or was, before the trade) a big Denver fan
Posted by Nodima, Sat Feb-09-13 04:10 PM
and I made this thread. Even I wouldn't expect Denver to win a Semi-Conference round right now. I'd have good hopes about it, but realistically i don't see them doing much better than, say, the Pacers did last year. They're going to catch some team on the chin that for whatever reason doesn't stay down, gets angry that they even gave Denver that open shot and unleashes a Pacquaio-like flurry on them that leaves them down 4-2 at best and heading home.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2129409, this really isn't your best year
Posted by bshelly, Mon Feb-11-13 11:34 AM
2128961, nine straight.
Posted by Guinness, Sun Feb-10-13 01:49 PM
gunnin' for that three seed.
2143607, *salts agenda-broth*
Posted by Guinness, Fri Mar-08-13 01:18 AM
seven wins in a row, just waxed the clips. nugs have the best home record in the NBA, tied with miami and san antonio with three losses in their building.
2143608, OH FUNNY, THEY'RE BETTER THAN THE KNICKS TOO
Posted by Guinness, Fri Mar-08-13 01:20 AM
THANKS CARMELO
2143612, Nuggets maintained, Knicks improved
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Mar-08-13 02:15 AM
Seems like a Win-Win deal to me.

2147100, pretty much...and the pieces the nuggets got from melo
Posted by Cenario, Thu Mar-14-13 10:41 AM
aren't really huge reasons for their success. Gallo/Chandler are somewhere around their 5th most important player. Mozgov is irrelevant and they turned felton into dre miller(right?) That trade might be more important than the melo one. lol

If you put Melo back on denver instead of Gallo, Chandler and Mozgov, Denver would be a serious contender in the west.

2147123, it's about the money.
Posted by Guinness, Thu Mar-14-13 11:02 AM
melo makes about $20M. iggy and gallo make about $24M combined. they're absolutely better off with the latter (especially since gallo and melo are roughly the same player, except melo shoots a lot more).

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=215&player_ids%5B%5D=70
2147170, does melo stop them from getting iggy?
Posted by Cenario, Thu Mar-14-13 12:00 PM
unless you are talking about luxury tax which i'd assume you aren't lol
2147177, probably?
Posted by Guinness, Thu Mar-14-13 12:06 PM
or resigning mcgee, i guess. either way, it's hard to justify paying melo $20M unless you're a huge market or willing to go over the cap.

outside of dirk, the 12 highest paid players in the NBA are all in NY, LA or MIA (and those are 9, 10 and 11).
2147180, agreed on this
Posted by Cenario, Thu Mar-14-13 12:09 PM
>it's hard to justify paying melo $20M unless you're a huge market or willing to go over the cap.

I feel melo would put them in contender status and easily worth going over the cap for, you obviously feel they are contenders as is so we obviously won't agree any further.
2147194, i mean, i'd rather have melo than gallo.
Posted by Guinness, Thu Mar-14-13 12:25 PM
but the difference isn't worth $10M as far as i can tell.

as an aside, the whole "denver has no stars" narrative is looking fragile -- lawson is averaging 22pts and 8 assists over the last month and a half. his early season struggles were the main reason they underperformed. this is how good the nuggets were supposed to be.
2147084, pours steaming bowl of agenda-broth for bomb
Posted by Guinness, Thu Mar-14-13 10:31 AM
10 straight, game behind the clippers for the fifth-best record in basketball. unbeatable at home.
2147188, they've been good at home for years & they're playin real well right now
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Mar-14-13 12:19 PM
'title contenders' equals me being 'Safe + Sound'(c)Quik

You can continue partying on but until they get into a home playoff series or two seed, they ain't sniffing no parts of a title.
2147199, obviously i'm doing my partying now.
Posted by Guinness, Thu Mar-14-13 12:29 PM
and it's nice that the "stupidest thing i've ever said" is more right than everyone who declared the lakers unstoppable before the season.

gonna refrain from making playoff predictions until we see how the seedings shape up. if the nugs get home advantage, i'll rock with them in the first round against memphis or clippers.

as an aside, the sixers tried to hire masai ujiri before this season and he was like LOL
2147206, i mean i don't know about everyone else but i expected
Posted by Cenario, Thu Mar-14-13 12:37 PM
the nuggets to be regular season good. They are deep team, that runs in a city with high altitude. I believe in the prediction thread i had them as the 3 seed behind OKC and lolakerslol.

The criticism came from you saying they are championship contenders which has NOT been proven yet.

2147208, for sure.
Posted by Guinness, Thu Mar-14-13 12:41 PM
but for the record, i said "sleeper," and that no one was beating miami.

i agree that being deep doesn't mean as much in the postseason (and having truly elite players means more), but if a team has a top-five record, i usually don't mind giving them a "sleeper" tag out of respect. that excludes a weird team like last year's rose-less bulls.

spurs
miami
okc
memphis
clips
denver

i'd give memphis/clips the same status right now. it's mostly a rhetorical thing, since the heat aren't losing.
2147210, agendas aside, do you think the nuggets would be better
Posted by Cenario, Thu Mar-14-13 12:46 PM
with d'antoni at the helm?

I never cared too much for Karl.
2147215, not sure.
Posted by Guinness, Thu Mar-14-13 12:55 PM
they gave up afflalo in the iggy deal, and he was one of their better 3-pt shooters. now the nugs take a below average amount and are 25th in 3-pt percentage. they have the second-ranked offense by running, scoring in the paint and assaulting the o-boards. so i'm not sure d'antoni would necessarily make them improve dramatically on that end (although gallo and chandler were excellent in ny).

not a fan of karl's subbing patterns. he goes small unnecessarily and doesn't play javale enough.

2147212, RE: obviously i'm doing my partying now.
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Mar-14-13 12:51 PM

>as an aside, the sixers tried to hire masai ujiri before this
>season and he was like LOL

that was probably because of the Collins thing, hopefully we're off that in a month.
2147216, it sucks rooting for a dumb organization.
Posted by Guinness, Thu Mar-14-13 12:59 PM
it's so wack seeing teams like houston, orlando and denver building in a way that--even if it doesn't work--makes logical sense. meanwhile the sixers signed kwame and hawes while having the nba's fifth-best rebounder already on the roster.
2147246, Amen...
Posted by gmltheone, Thu Mar-14-13 01:30 PM
>it's so wack seeing teams like houston, orlando and denver
>building in a way that--even if it doesn't work--makes logical
>sense. meanwhile the sixers signed kwame and hawes while
>having the nba's fifth-best rebounder already on the roster.

Or bringing in 3pt shooters and chaining them to the bench.

But they hired an anatytics guy though. Might just be window dressing. We'll see.
2147609, I'm giving this ownership group this offseaon to do a major reroute
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Mar-14-13 11:56 PM
let this be their Brad Greenberg/Johnny Davis mulligan.

Fire Collins the day the season ends, get a real GM with a vision & get to work.

They're not bogged down in ant bad deals beyond next year (maybe JRich but he'd be an expiring chip anyway by then if he's got a player option) & they ain't winning anything next year anyway so start getting this thing ready for 2015 & beyond.
2147768, lol, come on, we are fucked, man
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Mar-15-13 12:17 PM
collins will stay and bynum will be re-signed. welcome to elton brand part two.
2147771, Not really....
Posted by gmltheone, Fri Mar-15-13 12:25 PM
>collins will stay and bynum will be re-signed. welcome to
>elton brand part two.

they're better than they were. No onerous contracts. A lame duck old coach. A new ownership that actually cares about basketball and got to see how playoff bbasketball affects the fanbase. And for the first time in a long time. You know what they have talentwise.

I'm with bomb. This is a mulligan for this season. They took a shot and it didn't work. Bravo, but now you can re-load. It did take cajoles to not bring back the "made it to the 2nd round" gang back.

----------------------------
Same as it ever was!
2147775, it all depends on bynum
Posted by Guinness, Fri Mar-15-13 12:31 PM
they're going to resign him and the fate of the franchise rests within his paper mache knees. if he's a dominant center, coupled with jrue, thad and a lottery pick, they're not in bad shape at all.

this dream will surely be smashed into a pile of poop
2147780, Fuck him, they need to just take the L they've already got & KIM
Posted by Bombastic, Fri Mar-15-13 12:35 PM
if he even decides to re-sign with the Sixers, that will be a clear indication he knows he ain't ever really gonna try to play again.
2147779, I have no reason to believe either of those things.
Posted by Bombastic, Fri Mar-15-13 12:34 PM
>collins will stay and bynum will be re-signed. welcome to
>elton brand part two.
2147839, I'd be surprised if Collins comes back.
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Mar-15-13 02:11 PM
When the light at the end of the tunnel is perhaps dealing with Andrew Bynum, it's probably a good time for a coach to bounce. I think he retires after the season.
2147096, this is gonna get archived. for better or for worse.
Posted by CherNic, Thu Mar-14-13 10:40 AM
2147200, Might as well get a reply in before it does.
Posted by ChuckFoPrez, Thu Mar-14-13 12:30 PM
2147552, I'm rooting for both sides.
Posted by Nodima, Thu Mar-14-13 09:20 PM
Either way it'll be bitter sweet.

I hope it's Nuggets Knicks in the finals.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2147601, It doesn't matter if Melo turns into God, they HAD to trade him and
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Mar-14-13 11:46 PM
they got good return to stay as good or better than they were with him.

they did well, that's a done deal. the knicks did pretty well, too, exactly how well we dunno yet.
2147814, pretty much.
Posted by Cenario, Fri Mar-15-13 01:32 PM
2148187, Yep. Nuggs went from good to great; Knicks went from shitty to good.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Mar-16-13 01:48 PM

Perfectly fair trade.

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2148185, *Serves agenda-minestrone*
Posted by Guinness, Sat Mar-16-13 01:44 PM
Nugs coming for that three seed
2148190, I love this post.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Mar-16-13 01:59 PM
2149462, 12 in a row, half game out of the three seed.
Posted by Guinness, Mon Mar-18-13 11:10 PM
tied with memphis for the fifth best record in the NBA.

GET DOWN OR LAY DOWN
2150362, extends spoonful of agenda-bouillabaisse to bomb
Posted by Guinness, Tue Mar-19-13 11:14 PM
2173669, Please Sir, I Want Some More(c)Bomliver Twist
Posted by Bombastic, Fri May-03-13 03:27 AM
2150418, I would be scared of this team if only Iggy didn't have a broken jumper
Posted by FILF, Wed Mar-20-13 03:40 AM
when the pace slows down, dude is going to get exposed once again considering that he plays major minutes.
2150579, he has gotten better though, hit some huge shots last year
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Mar-20-13 01:27 PM
he ain't ray allen but he ain't scared either. they also don't NEED him to be the guy to take the shot. we saw lawson nail the game winner against OKC, gallo is a shooter, etc. he has more options than he did in philly without question.
2150583, he's been okay from three point range.
Posted by Guinness, Wed Mar-20-13 01:38 PM
not nearly as good as last season, but close to his career average (although terrible from the right corner baseline, which is weird and problematic). AI2's a middling midrange shooter and has been uncharacteristically pathetic from the free throw line, which have combined to make him a below-average scorer in terms of overall efficiency for the first time in his career.

the only good news on that is that since he doesn't shoot much, the difference between his career TS% of 55% and this year's slump to 51.6% comes out to roughly 0.6 points a game.
2150607, iite so I mighta been wrong.
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Mar-20-13 02:08 PM
Sorry Guinny.

I still don't see them making the WCF, but...props.
2152419, STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE HERE STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW THE WHOLE TEAM
Posted by Guinness, Sun Mar-24-13 11:42 AM
JUST AS A REMINDER TO MYSELF
2152608, BOYS TELL STORIES BOUT THE MANIMAL
Posted by dula dos pistolas, Sun Mar-24-13 05:29 PM
2152891, I JUST THINK ITS FUNNY HOW IT GO
Posted by Guinness, Mon Mar-25-13 11:18 AM
MEDIOCRE ON THE ROAD, 32-3 AT HOME
2152436, wow
Posted by mtbatol, Sun Mar-24-13 12:53 PM
2152694, its been quite obvious that the Nuggs got the better end of that
Posted by vee-lover, Sun Mar-24-13 07:45 PM
deal...

Ppl, especially Knicks fans, bought into the early season's *fool's gold* when they got out the gate fast. Since the All Star break they've been barely a .500 ball club.

I keep telling ppl that any team w/Melo as their best player isn't going very far.
2173648, Neither is Denver so...........
Posted by Cenario, Fri May-03-13 01:03 AM

>
>I keep telling ppl that any team w/Melo as their best player
>isn't going very far.
2152747, Z-LO ADDS PINCH OF CAYENNE TO GENDA-CONSOMMÉ
Posted by dula dos pistolas, Sun Mar-24-13 08:32 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/55466/golden-in-denver-how-the-nuggets-have-become-one-of-leagues-best-teams
2173592, Did they?
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-03-13 12:24 AM
2173598, http://tinyurl.com/c7swupp
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri May-03-13 12:25 AM

http://tinyurl.com/c7swupp

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2173811, awesome agenda victory for me.
Posted by Guinness, Fri May-03-13 10:09 AM
lol karl lol
2173890, um they lost.
Posted by Cenario, Fri May-03-13 12:16 PM
2173893, OH NOEZ
Posted by Guinness, Fri May-03-13 12:25 PM
not sure how that changes the fact that i was (to my recollection) the only person on here who said they were a top five team and would finish third in the west behind OKC and SAS. i said such a record made them a default "sleeper contender" -- although karl would bungle things and the heat were going to win anyway.

i thought they'd beat golden state, but bailed on their playoff fortunes when gallo went down. the funny thing is that the west is wide open now, too.
2173926, pretty much everyone said they'd win a grip in the regular
Posted by Cenario, Fri May-03-13 12:57 PM
season and not be close to winning a title but lets not let little facts cloud an otherwise entertaining post.