Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: lol, I'm just trying to determine what the "criteria" is? PER? win shares?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2028578&mesg_id=2028677
2028677, RE: lol, I'm just trying to determine what the "criteria" is? PER? win shares?
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Sep-03-12 06:20 PM
>>what isn't debatable is that his type of game is a lot
>easier
>>to surround w/quality teammates vs Carmelo, Kobe, and
>>Wesbrook.
>
>if its so easy why hasn't he had as much playoff success as
>those guys or any of the other elite point guards

which team has he been on that was predicted to go deep in the postseason? (I'll wait)...the other players have been on good to really good teams.
>
>>As someone said in a reply in this same post, point
>>guards usually aren't expected to lead their teams to
>>championships...
>
>I think a couple of guys named Earvin and Isiah may question
>that...

yeah, and how many yrs ago was that? ok...
>
>
>>to some Paul is the exception only because the consensus
>says
>>he's the best pg in the league
>
>again, based on WHAT?

because he's better, plain and simple lmao...he's a better shooter than ALL the pgs w/the exception of maybe D-Will and he's no less the 2nd best passing point guard in the league...and he's led the league in steals several seasons while no other point guard can say the same...oh, and he's regarded as the BEST leader of any player in the league, including the point guards ppl compare him to.
>
>>but history shows that
>>championship teams aren't usually led by their point guards
>
>Billups and Parker may disagree with that too. And really
>other recent Finals MVP's like Wade, Kobe and Lebron who
>didn't officially have the "point guard" title but were the
>primarily ballhandlers and playmakers on their teams.

wtf - Billups didn't *lead* the Pistons to the championship, that is the one team in nba history that didn't have a definitive BEST player on its squad. Some nights it was Rip, other times it was Rasheed and everyone knows Ben Wallace was the heart and soul of that team, not to mention the defensive anchor which was that team's bread and butter during their title run...and Parker played w/this guy by the name of Tim Duncan who many believe is GOAT power forward...and he had another teammate from Argentina who can be the best player on the floor on any given night.
>
>>but as of RIGHT TODAY, if I had to choose btw
>>Paul/Melo/Kobe/Westbrook to start a team, I'm going w/the
>guy
>>who doesn't mind getting others involved where as the other
>>players mentioned are selfish and try and win games by
>>themselves by jacking up bad shot after bad shot.
>
>You're basically talking in circles, you're saying pg's don't
>lead teams to championships but if you're starting a team
>you're to take a pg that has never come close to winning
>anything.

because point guards typically don't lead teams to a chip and we have nba history to prove it. Isaiah Thomas was the last point guard to lead a team to a title and even he wasn't the leading scorer on those teams, Dantley was and after he was traded it was Dumars...but he had other standout players on that team as well. And this is how you have to build a championship team if the centerpiece of that team is your point guard. Paul can't be the team's leading scorer and leading assist man if the Clippers are ever going to make a serious run for a championship...he needs another offensive player to shoulder some of the offensive load but that doesn't mean he still won't be the team's best player (just like Nash was in Phoenix when he won those MVPS, Amare and Marion were the scorers)