Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectGreat article today on one of my guys (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2023291&mesg_id=2062400
2062400, Great article today on one of my guys (swipe)
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri Nov-02-12 01:39 PM
really proud of this young man. Even more because he had courage to speak on his disability.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_21911668/narbonne-football-star-lejon-fisher-refuses-let-disorder

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: Narbonne standout Lejon Fisher making most of 5th season of eligibility

Linebacker refuses to let disability block him, makes most of rare opportunity on the field with an unbeaten Gauchos team that has lofty goals.

By Tony Ciniglio, Staff Writer
Posted: 11/02/2012 03:23:03 AM PDT
Updated: 11/02/2012 03:23:21 AM PDT

As the school year drew to a close last June, Narbonne linebacker Lejon Fisher received a summons to report to the football coaching office.

When Fisher arrived, offensive coordinator Tim Kaub had a solemn look on his face and told Fisher to take a seat.

This moment had been building for six months as Fisher waited to see if he would be granted a fifth year of eligibility.

The time had come. So Fisher sat down, hoping for the best and bracing for the worst.

Narbonne football coach Manuel Douglas admitted he did not know which way the L.A. City Section office would sway on the matter.

"I never had a player apply for a fifth year, let alone get it," Douglas said. "Even though I thought he had a pretty legitimate case, there's still a lot of paperwork to go through, a lot of evidence to present.

"We were acting like he wasn't coming back."

Fisher had started the majority of Narbonne's games as a sophomore and started every game last year as a junior.

In fact, Fisher was an integral part of Narbonne's L.A. City Section title run last season, setting up a potential bonanza of a year this season.

Fisher desperately wanted to be a part of it.

However, Fisher was facing great odds.

City assistant commissioner John Aguirre said only three fifth-year applications were accepted for the entire section in all sports.

CIF Southern Section spokesman Thom Simmons said his office does not keep records on fifth-year applications, but said it is "rare."

So was Fisher's case.

Fisher had been diagnosed with ADHD - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. It is a disorder that affected more than 5.4 million U.S. children ages 4-17, according to a 2007 report from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Sometimes I get thrown off during class," Fisher said. "My mind wanders off. Sometimes I'll be sitting there and I'll have to get up and move.

"My knees are always shaking like this."

So when Fisher enrolled at Carson High as a freshman for the 2008-09 school year, he received his IEP, an Individual Educational Plan that affords him extra individual attention and accommodations such as extra time on tests.

Fisher said Carson did not follow his IEP.

Fisher struggled in his freshman year, receiving one D and the rest F's, leading to frustration and plenty of self-doubt, particularly in math. He never saw the football field at Carson.

"I was having a lot of trouble," Fisher said. "I'd ask the teacher for help, and he would ask me if I already asked another student. I had. I just wasn't getting it.

"I really needed help."

Fisher tried making up the classes in summer school, but continued to struggle. So Fisher and his mother, Jetoi Johnson, decided he should transfer to Narbonne.

Fisher repeated his freshman year in 2009-10 and got his classes in order.

Fisher began to see dramatic improvement in his sophomore year in 2010-11, raising his grade-point average to 2.8, a mark he has maintained.

"I was starting to do well in my classes, and I started having fun with it," Fisher said.

Fisher credited Narbonne's IEP leader Erica Pan for his rapid turnaround.

Sometimes Pan would accompany Fisher to class. Fisher was allowed to take tests in her class so he had the opportunity for more time on them.

And he began to flourish.

"Ms. Pan helped me a lot. I love that lady," Fisher said. "Anything I asked, she made it happen."

With his academics under control, Fisher and his family began to focus on getting that lost year back.

Fisher needed a copy of his interdistrict permit and affidavits from Carson teachers. His mother went to some teachers and appealed some of the grades, raising some F's to D's. He needed to show documentation for that as well.

"They also told me to keep my grades up. As high as possible," Fisher said. "It was to show that I had changed."

There were no guarantees.

In the midst of Narbonne's postseason run last season, Fisher realized he might be in his final high school games. He panicked when he sustained cracked ribs in the semifinals against Dorsey, but returned for the final against Carson.

"Coach (Robert) Gil told me I had to ball out because this could be my last game," Fisher said. "In the final, I had so much motivation, especially because it was against Carson."

Fisher celebrated the City championship with his teammates. Then the waiting game began.

So Fisher sat down in the coaches' office on that June afternoon.

Kaub looked straight at him and began shaking his head.

"I was like, `Kaub, you telling me I didn't get it?' Fisher asked, beginning to tear up.

Then Kaub broke the news, like a dramatic slow reveal: Fisher got his fifth year.

The waterworks began. Then the hugging. Fisher hugged defensive coordinator Joe Aguirre. Then Kaub. Then he went outside and hugged fellow linebackers Keishawn Bierria and Marquis Lomax.

"Once I heard the news, I wanted to tell the world," Fisher said. "I called everyone on my phone, my mom first.

"I just jumped for joy."

Fisher certainly has made the most of his fifth year of eligibility.

Fisher has been an impact player for a staunch defense that has spearheaded Narbonne's 9-0 start heading into tonight's regular-season finale against visiting Gardena.

Fisher has 74 tackles, which ranks second on the team. He also has three interceptions.

"This whole senior year has been like a bonus for him," Douglas said. "He deserves it. He has made the most of it. His grades are solid. And he began making even better decisions."

Fisher is drawing major interest from Division II New Mexico Highlands.

Fisher is also on the radar of the University of Colorado.

However, Fisher is relishing this unbeaten season, one that might result in Narbonne's first CIF state bowl bid.

"I just love spending this time with my teammates and coaches," Fisher said. "The work is good and the games are good, but we are like a family.

"When we're all together, that's the best time."