Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectcompetitive sport does not equate to 25-40 yr olds playing rec league sports
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2008275&mesg_id=2008408
2008408, competitive sport does not equate to 25-40 yr olds playing rec league sports
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jul-13-12 11:14 PM
Most the guys I know are playing basketball just to stay in shape at this point, they arent trying to make any teams. People also Crossfit to stay in shape. Generally nobody I know is trying to compete in the games.

>hell yeah injuries will happen in physical sports such as
>bball, soccer, etc.

All Im saying is that at our age (and this is just anecdotal not scientific) I know more people getting hurt just playing rec league or pickup sports because of the dynamic change of direction needed.

In general there isnt a whole lot of that type of movement in Crossfit. I mean even at the competitive level given all the "work" these guys and girls do---theres not many people blowing out knees or spraining ankles.

In a regular gym everything is scalable. Like you Im not a huge fan of having to do a lot f snatches and a lot of other olympic movements for time, but everything is scalable to a lighter and safer weight--and since Im not competing against anyone but myself I just take my time and get set up under the bar.

If I had a friend who wanted to lose weight and get in shape, Id recommend a good crossfit gym over playing absketball a coupel times a week. He'd get better workouts for his time and be less likely to get injured. He would pay more money though.

>
>injuries shouldn't occur during training, however. this kinda
>defeats the purpose of training.
>
>if you're a strength coach and your players are getting
>injured in the weight room you won't have a career for very
>long.