Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectPicks
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2008275&mesg_id=2008340
2008340, Picks
Posted by Amon, Fri Jul-13-12 07:37 PM
Team:

TJs Gym is in the early lead but I think Invictus or Diablo winning the team competitions.
Both teams are really well rounded for the listed team events

Women:

I'm pulling for Christy Phillips. I want her to win badly, but it's hard ignore what Julie Foucher is doing. She is picking up where she left off in the Regionals. I think she beat all but 8 men in the Pendelton event. Suprised to see "Iceland" Annie and Kristen Clever struggle early. The surprise triathalon got the best of many top athletes. (even Spealler. more on him in a second). Would be nice to see Annie Sakamoto on the podium. She's always fun to watch.

I'm going with Julie Foucher to take first, and hopefully Christy will join her on the podium.

Oh, Talayna Fortunato is looking amazing. She's beating a lot of the big dogs. I'm keeping my eyes on her.

Men:

I'm in the camp that believes Rich Froning will not repeat. Way too many well rounded athletes this year. Some have argued that the listed events cater to the smaller athletes, which on paper they do, but the bigger guys like Matt Chan, Graham Holmberg and Spencer Hendel have pushed their way in the top 10.

I'm also not a fan of the Chris Spealler coddling. I get it. Sixth trip to the games, HQ trainer, all around nice guy. The Update Show and spectators have been a little much since he made that comeback at Regionals. I don't think the games were programmed with him in mind, but I can understand why conspiracy theorist would think so. After all that, it would be dope if he won :)

I'm rooting for Ben Smith (yes I'm rooting for Mid-Atlantic athletes). I don't think he'll take first, but I expect him to take podium (3rd in 2011) again this year. He made every event at the Regionals look easy.
I'm going with Mike Chan to take first this year. He's in better condition this year than he was last year and it showed at Regionals and the triathalon.

It's early and this year's competition seems wide open. Just like the Snatch ladder at Regionals, I think the Clean Ladder is going to create a lot of separation.