Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe 2012 Crossfit Games Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2008275
2008275, The 2012 Crossfit Games Post
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jul-13-12 04:42 PM
Just me and you B9.

I almost feel like the events are "easier" this year but that day 1 triathlon and obstacle course beat a bunch of people up. First time they've had to cancel an event cause so many people were just hurting.

On Wednesday they started off with less than 24 hours ntice (athletes thought the games would begin Friday).

Event 1 Triathlon at Camp Pendleton Marine Base
700 Open water Ocean Swim
8k bike ride through some hills and sandy terrain on a single speed bike (most athletes had to carry bikes through parts)
11k Run through similar rough, hilly, sandy terrain.

Event 2 was a Camp Pendeton Obstacle Course which included balance logs, logs to jump over, walls, etc. Didnt seem too taing, but if you got far you had to run it 3 times. Guys were finishing in 38-50 seconds

----
Today so far

Event 3: Broad Jump test (cancelled from Wednesday)
Event 4: Throwing a medicine ball off a GHD (This one seemed silly).

Event 5: A Track Triplet
3 rounds for time
8 split snatches (115/75)
7 Bar muscle ups
1 400 m run

Event 6
3 rounds for time
8 medicine ball cleans (150/80)
100 ft medicine ball carry with that same 150# or 80# med ball
7 parallette hand stand pushups
100 ft medicine bal carry with same 150# or 80# med ball

-----
Saturday

Event 7: Shuttle sprint
Run t 50yd line and back, then run t the 100 yd line and back.

Event 8: Clean ladder
1 rep of a clean every 30 seconds with progressively heavier weights

The last event for Saturday and Sunday finals are TBA
2008276, wtach live here
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jul-13-12 04:42 PM
http://games.crossfit.com/live-stream
2008281, or here
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jul-13-12 04:49 PM
http://games.crossfit.com/spectator-stream
2008310, Thanks for this, I'ma peep this out.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Jul-13-12 05:52 PM

I fell off on looking into crossfit after my injury
but now that I'm healthy again I'm definitely looking
into it

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2008316, I'm interested in getting into CrossFit, but heard injuries can be terrible
Posted by brown sugar, Fri Jul-13-12 06:07 PM
Any crossfit experts here to clarify/respond to this?
2008324, i think thats a very legit concern
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jul-13-12 06:43 PM
but you might score some pussy out of the ordeal so it might be worth the exchange

im not a 'crossfit expert' by any stretch
2008808, yeah i've heard anecdotal stuff abt injuries
Posted by brown sugar, Sun Jul-15-12 03:30 PM
but i also figure it might be a good, fast way to get somewhat in shape.

it seems the most important step is finding the right, experienced trainer

2008344, Try your local affiliate.
Posted by Amon, Fri Jul-13-12 07:47 PM
Most Crossfit Affiliates offer a free workout. It's a great opportunity to ask any questions you may have. The workout will also allow you to get a observe the coaches' styles and personalities.

Sure, injuries happen. I honestly don't think they are as serious or as rampant as some may claim. Injuries are bound to happen in any form of exercise. But don't take my word for it, Call your local box and give it a shot:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/ Find your state on the left

If you don't like, at least you have experience to base it on.
Good luck.
2008365, not really
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jul-13-12 08:34 PM
>Injuries are bound
>to happen in any form of exercise.

there's a lot of throwing caution to the wind with crossfit and lack of sensibility wrt weight training form, execution and programming...hence the concern for a lot of people which is well justified.
2008374, More on this later when I have more time. In short yes depends on affiliate
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jul-13-12 09:06 PM
but I have a lot more friends in their mid 20s to early 30s who have blown knees and ankles playing recreational basketball then I know people who have gotten serious injuries crossfitting at my affiliate.

The owner of a box I know here in Cali actually blow out his patella playing basketball the day after he opened up his box lol
2008378, 'form of exercise' does not equate to competitive sport
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jul-13-12 09:32 PM
hell yeah injuries will happen in physical sports such as bball, soccer, etc.

injuries shouldn't occur during training, however. this kinda defeats the purpose of training.

if you're a strength coach and your players are getting injured in the weight room you won't have a career for very long.
2008408, competitive sport does not equate to 25-40 yr olds playing rec league sports
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jul-13-12 11:14 PM
Most the guys I know are playing basketball just to stay in shape at this point, they arent trying to make any teams. People also Crossfit to stay in shape. Generally nobody I know is trying to compete in the games.

>hell yeah injuries will happen in physical sports such as
>bball, soccer, etc.

All Im saying is that at our age (and this is just anecdotal not scientific) I know more people getting hurt just playing rec league or pickup sports because of the dynamic change of direction needed.

In general there isnt a whole lot of that type of movement in Crossfit. I mean even at the competitive level given all the "work" these guys and girls do---theres not many people blowing out knees or spraining ankles.

In a regular gym everything is scalable. Like you Im not a huge fan of having to do a lot f snatches and a lot of other olympic movements for time, but everything is scalable to a lighter and safer weight--and since Im not competing against anyone but myself I just take my time and get set up under the bar.

If I had a friend who wanted to lose weight and get in shape, Id recommend a good crossfit gym over playing absketball a coupel times a week. He'd get better workouts for his time and be less likely to get injured. He would pay more money though.

>
>injuries shouldn't occur during training, however. this kinda
>defeats the purpose of training.
>
>if you're a strength coach and your players are getting
>injured in the weight room you won't have a career for very
>long.
2008477, running a full court game is a full court game
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Jul-14-12 01:15 PM
i played bball in HS and all of my injuries (and there were quite a few) came either during pick-up runs or during practice. so whether it's an organized game with refs and uniforms doesn't really matter. it's just the nature of contact sports. injuries will happen.

however 'injuries will happen' shouldn't be the nature of training or being in a weight room. that was my point to the original poster when he stated that injuries are merely a consequence of all exercise.

>All Im saying is that at our age (and this is just anecdotal
>not scientific) I know more people getting hurt just playing
>rec league or pickup sports because of the dynamic change of
>direction needed.

right.

>In general there isnt a whole lot of that type of movement in
>Crossfit. I mean even at the competitive level given all the
>"work" these guys and girls do---theres not many people
>blowing out knees or spraining ankles.

yes, prob not many 'blowout' type injuries in crossfit.

>If I had a friend who wanted to lose weight and get in shape,
>Id recommend a good crossfit gym over playing absketball a
>coupel times a week.

yes, id agree that the direct fat loss results would be better.

i think the overall theme of getting regular gym folks to do some hard work is a good thing...but I've just seen just too much footage of crossfitters doing things in the gym that really leaves me scratching my head. granted, ive never been to an actual crossfit class and im prob seeing the worst of it on youtube.
2008806, cool thanks for the info
Posted by brown sugar, Sun Jul-15-12 03:29 PM
2008372, It all depends on the affiliate you go to
Posted by spawn2k, Fri Jul-13-12 09:03 PM
If you're in a good "box" then you'll be fine, if not then it's any ones guess. Now the question is what determines a good box. I would check out a few boxes i know your area before committing to one. If the coach doesn't emphasize things like proper form before intensity, leave. If the box doesn't have anything for active recovery i.e foam roller, lacrosse balls etc leave. If they dont emphasize a proper warmup routine, leave. And last but not least whats the programming like. If they don't emphasize building strength then head for the hills. The vast majority of injuries in crossfit (or any where else for that matter) occur because people who are not strong enough are doing these movements at high intensity. And if they follow mainsite programming then it's just a waste of time.
2008409, Ive been crossfittong for 3 years at my box weve had 2 big injuries
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jul-13-12 11:15 PM
Both torn pecs doing bench presses actually (which is a movement a lot of Crossfits dont do much). Its actually why I think we had the injuries.
2008410, Where do you live?
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jul-13-12 11:16 PM
2008805, Ann Arbor, MI for the next 6mo
Posted by brown sugar, Sun Jul-15-12 03:29 PM
then NYC
2008941, i find crossfit very DANGEROUS
Posted by xangeluvr, Sun Jul-15-12 09:02 PM
>Any crossfit experts here to clarify/respond to this?

hell, you can see it in the crossfit games as well, especially in the lifts. proper (read that as safe) form is not stressed as much as speed and volume. i cringe when i see them doing snatches. serious back injuries waiting to happen.

one huge problem with CF is that someone can call themselves CF certified by spending some money for one of their weekend seminars. sorry, but i don't want someone that doesn't know shit teaching me how to get in shape, especially not teaching me how to lift.

now, not all coaches are bad. the ones that are good have schooling behind them and are already personal trainers or strength coaches. on top of this education they add the CF certification. the problem is finding the good knowledgable coaches and differentiating them from the shit ones.

the other big thing is that crossfit is NOT doing anything new. they got the public fooled that they have some secret system or workouts or some shit. give anything a snappy name and people eat it up.
2009072, Scale down.
Posted by B9, Mon Jul-16-12 08:20 AM
When you first start, for about the first 3-4 months, depending on how athletic you are, you scale way down on your workouts. If your box has good programmers, every WOD should be scaleable, to some degree.

Just take it slow when you first start and learn proper form rather than trying to jump to the RX weights for the lifts. It's a process, not something you jump straight into the deep end with.
2009077, and the only injury I've seen at my gym (1.5 years) was a broken toe
Posted by B9, Mon Jul-16-12 08:25 AM
from a dropped kettlebell.

Compared to the worst exercise injury I've personally seen (white kid at a Y blowing out his back trying to squat heavy without a spot and not on a rack, getting pinned under the bar at the bottom after he was already basically folded in half), that's not that bad.

Injuries happen with either people biting off more than they can chew trying to be macho or bad coaching.
2008340, Picks
Posted by Amon, Fri Jul-13-12 07:37 PM
Team:

TJs Gym is in the early lead but I think Invictus or Diablo winning the team competitions.
Both teams are really well rounded for the listed team events

Women:

I'm pulling for Christy Phillips. I want her to win badly, but it's hard ignore what Julie Foucher is doing. She is picking up where she left off in the Regionals. I think she beat all but 8 men in the Pendelton event. Suprised to see "Iceland" Annie and Kristen Clever struggle early. The surprise triathalon got the best of many top athletes. (even Spealler. more on him in a second). Would be nice to see Annie Sakamoto on the podium. She's always fun to watch.

I'm going with Julie Foucher to take first, and hopefully Christy will join her on the podium.

Oh, Talayna Fortunato is looking amazing. She's beating a lot of the big dogs. I'm keeping my eyes on her.

Men:

I'm in the camp that believes Rich Froning will not repeat. Way too many well rounded athletes this year. Some have argued that the listed events cater to the smaller athletes, which on paper they do, but the bigger guys like Matt Chan, Graham Holmberg and Spencer Hendel have pushed their way in the top 10.

I'm also not a fan of the Chris Spealler coddling. I get it. Sixth trip to the games, HQ trainer, all around nice guy. The Update Show and spectators have been a little much since he made that comeback at Regionals. I don't think the games were programmed with him in mind, but I can understand why conspiracy theorist would think so. After all that, it would be dope if he won :)

I'm rooting for Ben Smith (yes I'm rooting for Mid-Atlantic athletes). I don't think he'll take first, but I expect him to take podium (3rd in 2011) again this year. He made every event at the Regionals look easy.
I'm going with Mike Chan to take first this year. He's in better condition this year than he was last year and it showed at Regionals and the triathalon.

It's early and this year's competition seems wide open. Just like the Snatch ladder at Regionals, I think the Clean Ladder is going to create a lot of separation.

2008373, Id bet a lot of money Foucher wins it
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jul-13-12 09:03 PM
Its not even close and shes good enough at everything to hold the lead barring injury of course.

I wanted Elizabeth Akinwale to win

>Team:
>
>TJs Gym is in the early lead but I think Invictus or Diablo
>winning the team competitions.
>Both teams are really well rounded for the listed team events
>
>Women:
>
>I'm pulling for Christy Phillips. I want her to win badly,
>but it's hard ignore what Julie Foucher is doing. She is
>picking up where she left off in the Regionals. I think she
>beat all but 8 men in the Pendelton event. Suprised to see
>"Iceland" Annie and Kristen Clever struggle early. The
>surprise triathalon got the best of many top athletes. (even
>Spealler. more on him in a second). Would be nice to see
>Annie Sakamoto on the podium. She's always fun to watch.
>
>I'm going with Julie Foucher to take first, and hopefully
>Christy will join her on the podium.
>
>Oh, Talayna Fortunato is looking amazing. She's beating a lot
>of the big dogs. I'm keeping my eyes on her.
>
>Men:
>
>I'm in the camp that believes Rich Froning will not repeat.
>Way too many well rounded athletes this year. Some have
>argued that the listed events cater to the smaller athletes,
>which on paper they do, but the bigger guys like Matt Chan,
>Graham Holmberg and Spencer Hendel have pushed their way in
>the top 10.
>
>I'm also not a fan of the Chris Spealler coddling. I get it.
>Sixth trip to the games, HQ trainer, all around nice guy. The
>Update Show and spectators have been a little much since he
>made that comeback at Regionals. I don't think the games were
>programmed with him in mind, but I can understand why
>conspiracy theorist would think so. After all that, it would
>be dope if he won :)
>
>I'm rooting for Ben Smith (yes I'm rooting for Mid-Atlantic
>athletes). I don't think he'll take first, but I expect him
>to take podium (3rd in 2011) again this year. He made every
>event at the Regionals look easy.
>I'm going with Mike Chan to take first this year. He's in
>better condition this year than he was last year and it showed
>at Regionals and the triathalon.
>
>It's early and this year's competition seems wide open. Just
>like the Snatch ladder at Regionals, I think the Clean Ladder
>is going to create a lot of separation.
>
>
2008380, RE: Id bet a lot of money Foucher wins it
Posted by Amon, Fri Jul-13-12 09:40 PM
Surprisingly, she's strugglin' on the HSPUs.
2008377, Team Camille
Posted by bruceLeroy, Fri Jul-13-12 09:30 PM
her and annie sakamoto are all im checkin for. beastss
2008767, i'll catch the reply
Posted by Darryl_Licke, Sun Jul-15-12 01:20 PM
*gets on podium*

and let that first event serve as evidence that crossfit don't mean you can do everything.
2008933, Repeats
Posted by Amon, Sun Jul-15-12 08:35 PM
Froning and Annie were consistent.
They both had targets on their backs, but they both cruised in the final stretch.

2009024, When your last name translates to thors daughter
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Mon Jul-16-12 01:40 AM
You have no choice but to beast
2009071, That deficit HSPU/150lb med ball WOD? insane
Posted by B9, Mon Jul-16-12 08:18 AM
I think I would blow out my shoulder on the very first HSPU attempt.

These things are evolving so damn quickly.
2009080, how badass of a name is "Thor's Daughter" tho?
Posted by Victor Newman, Mon Jul-16-12 08:32 AM
2009082, BTW, i think those commercials were ridiculously sexist
Posted by B9, Mon Jul-16-12 08:34 AM
Judging from what I've heard from a friend who moved out to SoCal and worksout at a gym that's part of the "HQ circle", it's par for the course for Glassman's view of women. And as I told her, it's going to end up eating itself if they continue to not control their image/brand well. Combined with the Teasdale/"Crossfit Mean Streets" debacle and the Hope poster, they are crashing hard.
2009085, Froning is a G...and he seems like a good dude, too.
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jul-16-12 08:39 AM
2009131, He's a little to tebowey Christian for me
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Mon Jul-16-12 09:46 AM
And kinda boring but dudes work capacity is off the charts. Lol he doesn't believe in overtraining...
2212596, RE: He's a little to tebowey Christian for me
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jul-24-13 11:28 AM
>Lol he doesn't believe in overtraining...

That sounds like a perfect recipie for injuries when it comes to CrossFit type lifts. More power to him if he hasn't seriously hurt himself though.
2212563, 2013
Posted by Amon, Wed Jul-24-13 10:46 AM
He games have started.
Any predictions?
2212623, Day 1 includes a 21000m row
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Jul-24-13 12:25 PM
Not 2100, 21000 - a half marathon. You're on the erg for an hour and a half to 2 hours. That's just death.
2212678, RE: Day 1 includes a 21000m row
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jul-24-13 02:56 PM
>Not 2100, 21000 - a half marathon. You're on the erg for an
>hour and a half to 2 hours. That's just death.

I don't see have your forearms would enable you to grip anything after rowing for that amount of time. The legs and back will be burning for certain, but that's pure torture for the forearms.

Not that it's an important detail, but how will that get televised? It'll be hard to capture how rough that is on TV since ESPN or whomever will air that.
2212598, I peeped this a few times in the past..
Posted by LegacyNS, Wed Jul-24-13 11:31 AM
seems like it would be hard as hell but fun..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
Occupy Big Government..

Fannie, Freddie dole out big bonuses
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html
2212652, Here's the day 1 events
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Jul-24-13 01:30 PM
Would love to see how some other pro athletes stack up in some of this. I don't say elite cause the people who make it to the crossfit games are elite athletes.

The Pool
10 Rounds for time of:
Swim 25 yards
3 Bar Muscle-Ups
Swim 25 yards

Row 1 and Row 2
Row 21,097 meters

Row 1 is at 2000m checkpoint
Row 2 is the entire 21,097

Zig Zag Sprint
50 Yard Sprint with 4 obstacles

4 round bracket style tournament.

Naughty Nancy
4 Rounds For Time of:
Run 600m up and over the berm
25 Overhead Squats 140/95

Clean and Jerk Ladder
1 Rep Clean and Jerk every 90 seconds with progressively heavier barbells
2212657, That row is going to kill them
Posted by J_Stew, Wed Jul-24-13 01:37 PM
I don't think most crossfitters do stuff remotely that endurance based.
2212714, Yea last year they had that triathlon ish thing tho
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Jul-24-13 04:49 PM
So people had to know it was a possibility. If it were me if just worry about sandbagging at various points during that hour and a half. I just can't imagine myself on a rower that long. If have to make a hell of a playlist.
2212680, How much recovery time
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jul-24-13 03:00 PM
is given between the different rounds?
2466905, 2015
Posted by Amon, Tue Jul-21-15 08:37 AM
Predictions?
Thoughts?

The teen division should be interesting.

The trash talk between NorCal and Mayhem has been entertaining,
but I'd like to see another team finish first.
Maybe CFNE or 808.

I'm pulling for Elijah Muhammad to podium, but unlikely in his rookie season. Would be nice to see Ben Smith finally take the top spot.

Serious toss-up on the women's side.
Not sure where I read/heard this, but someone mentioned the
possibility of a non-US podium. I agree with that.

Team:
Mayhem
CFNE
Norcal

Women:
Michele Letendre
Annie Thorisdottir
Kara Webb

Men:
Panchik
Ohlsen
Smith