Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectGarnett: I don't have Ray's number anymore (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2005514&mesg_id=2042095
2042095, Garnett: I don't have Ray's number anymore (swipe)
Posted by melmag, Sat Sep-29-12 11:56 AM
By: Ben Rohrbach

In his first press conference since the departure of teammate Ray Allen, Celtics center Kevin Garnett told reporters gathered at Media Day, "I don’t have Ray’s number anymore. I’m not trying to communicate with him. I’m just being honest with everybody in here. It’s not that I wish him less than or whatever, it’s just what it is."

Allen and Garnett both arrived in Boston prior to the 2007-08 NBA season, when the pair made a championship run alongside Paul Pierce. Garnett illustrated his loyalty to the Celtics, signing a three-year, $36 million extension.

"My No. 1 reason for coming back, obviously, was Doc," said Garnett. "Doc being here is huge. I enjoy playing for him. The guys, the city, the fans here are by far the best fans that I’ve ever been a part of, and all that stuck with me -- along with some family motivation and other things of that nature. ...

"You want to be in a position where you can still contribute and still give something. I don’t know how Danny talked me into three years. I’m enjoying my journey here. I know it sounds lame and kind of cheesy, but coming in here, preparing, doing what I love, all those put together is why I’m here."

Meanwhile, Allen reportedly turned down a two-year, $12 million in favor of an offer from Miami worth half that value, and Garnett clearly took Allen's departure to the rival Heat personally.

"I choose not to ," said Garnett. "That’s a choice I personally made. I’m very close to Ray, I know his family, I wish nothing but the best for him and his family, I just made the choice to move on. That’s all.

"I’m focusing on J.T. , Courtney Lee, the new guys that are here. ... I wasn’t going to come here and answer a bunch of Ray Allenquestions.I wasgoing to obviouslyanswer one time, and then focus on what’s right here in this gym and what’s present. That’s where I’m at."