Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Even though I kinda saw this coming I'm still trying to wrap my head...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2004227&mesg_id=2005016
2005016, RE: Even though I kinda saw this coming I'm still trying to wrap my head...
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Thu Jul-05-12 09:20 PM
>So what if he can't guard Westbrook, neither could Sess or
>Blake, but our offensive efficiency will be infinitely better.
>

good point. mike brown's calling card is his defense, so maybe he can figure out a gimmick to at least slow down PG's like Rose and Westbrook.

also, i was looking at the stats from the 2010-11 season compared to the 2011-12 season and i think the team PPG totals from the former year to the latter was down like 5 or 6 points. last year, the Lakers barely outscored their opponents. the stat that stood out was that the defensive numbers were pretty similar, so Brown definitely shored up the defense. i didn't notice if the pace metrics were the same from 2010-11 to 2011-12, but i would think that the team played had more possesions in 2010. i think the pace numbers and the general decline on offense, even if Kobe scored more points than he did the year before, points to the team's main problem of lacking a consistent strategy and approach to getting easy baskets even if the team had an advantage over most teams at 3 positions. (SG, PF, C)

even if Nash is a weak point in the defense, i think his ability to help the team get easier baskets and also shoot from the outside at a high clip and space the floor as well, will offset the points he'll give up on defense. so it'll be a net plus, even if Nash does get beat alot.

and who knows, maybe Brown tweaks the defense some and Drew becomes a more consistent force on defense next year to offset the penetration from the outside.