Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectnot the white hispanics i know.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1953484&mesg_id=1953702
1953702, not the white hispanics i know.
Posted by thejerseytornado, Thu Apr-12-12 11:15 AM
nor is that born out in larger statistical samples. you might roll with a unique crowd (are a lot of them South American or Cuban?). maybe class background is playing a role?

hispanics, even white hispanics, intermarry whites less frequently than asians, have worse educational outcomes, and are more segregated than asians (even controlling for class). in more and more areas, hispanics are the primary "other" being racialized and policed. The recent immigration laws are good examples.

it's up for debate and the racialization is still one of a couple competing theories, but most of the good race scholars I know generally agree that "hispanic" has become a racial category in most people's minds and they're being treated as racially distinct in most fields. Which leads to the question about what does the US do with black hispanics and the answer generally seems to be: whatever we do with blacks or hispanics, and if those conflict, pick the worse of the two options and go with that*.

*which them becomes particularly bizarre in some ways because black hispanics in the US are mostly Caribbean and other Black Caribbean immigrants outperform multigenerational black peers for a variety of other reasons that somehow don't apply for Dominicans and Haitians. odd.

-----------
It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.