Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectOne of the dumber things I've read on here, well done.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1921393&mesg_id=2109567
2109567, One of the dumber things I've read on here, well done.
Posted by Kajun, Sat Jan-12-13 01:23 PM
The two arguments for contraction:

One is that it would be good for the game, less diluted talent, blah blah blah. That would be the argument of the bigger market, generally uninformed, uneducated fan. Not that you are fundamentally wrong, just that you are simple.

The other argument is firmly rooted in the reality of what the NBA actually is: a business. It does NOT exist to placate you, Joe Hoops Fan, and your thirst for "more competitive basketball." It exists to make money, and teams in small markets can and do earn a profit when they are run well. Contraction makes little to no sense with this argument.

The Sixers are in a top 5 media market and are a bottom five team in attendance most years, even as a playoff team. You know that? The Pistons are basically the same. They should be at the top of the list under any rational contraction plan, right? Fuck history, aint got shit to do with MAKING MONEY. You guys kill me sometimes.

In any case, contraction if it ever happens, will be ONE team maximum. But in all likelihood it won't ever happen because it would cost the league at least half a billion to contract ONE team. Cmon. The Hornets JUST sold for $330 million. Do you guys even think this shit through?