Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIf you thought that was a "candid shoot" promo, then I honestly
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1921133&mesg_id=1922700
1922700, If you thought that was a "candid shoot" promo, then I honestly
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Feb-22-12 07:06 AM
don't know what to tell you. Do all the talking about "20-something smart marks" if you must, talk about "bland, non-personal selling' if you must, but this "you left us" shit is not going to help this PPV do business, or at least do better business. No, it's not. The average fan who doesn't know about this stuff is going to buy this show based on the brand name off break, then on stuff like the Taker-HHH match, then on the name of The Rock. They're not going to watch WWE programming leading up to this show thinking, "You know, that John Cena's got a point. I need to order this show so I can see him put that bad Hollywood deserter The Rock in his place, because unlike The Rock, John Cena is going to stick around and never leave us, so that automatically means he's better. You've sold me, WWE, here's my 65 bucks!"

And I haven't even brought up the possibility of Rock's response yet. Cena tried this same "you left us" tack last year, and while Cena got a few nice lines in in response after The Rock, he was still eaten alive on the mic. And we don't expect that to change this year. So, while this "you left us" shit might be groovy to you, there are some in the audience, "smark" or not, who have heard this same song and dance before and kinda need Cena to say something new, and not just say the same shit but in the same "shoot" tenor of CM Punk from July 2011.

And yes, we do "just know" that people like HHH and CM Punk resent The Rock's success. CM Punk's thoughts on "Dwayne" are out there, if you want to search for them.