Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectOkay, so if Cena has such an undying love for professional wrestling
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1921133&mesg_id=1922677
1922677, Okay, so if Cena has such an undying love for professional wrestling
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Feb-22-12 01:00 AM
then why doesn't he talk about that, instead of harping on all of the stuff The Rock has done while he's gone? Why doesn't he look at The Rock as an ambassador for WWE and for wrestling, instead of some kind of deserter? If he had such love for the sport, wouldn't he want to insist to Kreative™ that he'd be happy that The Rock was out there representing WWE in a positive manner? I mean, he's got such love for the game that he'd realize that a rising tide lifts all boats, right? Why can't Cena say that he loves pro wrestling without simultaneously throwing The Rock under the bus for having the nerve to leave the company and become a movie star? That's not "effectively building the match up for non-smart fans," that's making Cena sound like a weak, jealous, and ignorant cunt. Not to mention a mouthpiece for an old, out-of-touch company owner and his egomaniacal son-in-law.

If you're going to go the "he left us so that automatically makes me better" route, there's a far better way to do it, one that doesn't just appeal to "smarks." You have Cena come out and congratulate The Rock for all of his success, ***and thank him for being a great ambassador for the sport***, but emphasize that, with all due respect, the place has changed dramatically since he was last there. Talk about how the athletes in WWE are bigger, faster, stronger, and yes, younger than when The Rock last showed up, and that he's about to step into the ring with one of the new blood. He might have been able to plod around the ring with Stone Cold and HHH and Mick Foley, but this is the new breed of WWE, and he'd better be ready to bring it. That he can come in with all of the new, fresh, and funny-ass catchphrases and Tweets that he wishes, but at the end of the day, he's got to come face-to-face with John Cena in the ring.

This current route -- even if you think it's the most exciting thing ever (probably because Cena's biting CM Punk's pseudo-shoot from last summer), and take out all of the "insider knowledge" of it (and btw, the HHH resentment of The Rock is 100% true, as is the Rock resentment from cats like CM Punk) -- is fucking lame. If I'm a John Cena follower, I should be cheering for Cena to take out The Rock because I think he's the better athlete and bigger star, and not just believing that he's better because he said he stuck around while The Rock dared to expand his career beyond the narrow scope of pro wrestling. It's a stupid and weak fucking tack for a babyface to take for a feud, and I don't give a shit if the 11-year olds eat it up. They're 11 year olds. They're not supposed to know any better. Older fans, even the non-smark ones, DO know better, and also know that Cena's sounding like a whiny, jealous bitch every time he says that "you left us" bullshit.

You and other fans might think this bullshit is cool because it's "real," and in a way it is VERY real, but that doesn't mean that it's the best path for your #1 babyface in the company to take going into this match. It just isn't. Just because "real" worked for CM Punk doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone else.