Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI was gonna up this but it's not my style
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1913297&mesg_id=1917044
1917044, I was gonna up this but it's not my style
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sun Feb-12-12 08:13 AM
I'll go with my thoughts from actually watching the game.

I'm not mad calling this one a draw with maybe a slight edge to Lin for winning the game. Especially cause he made a ft to put ny up 1 and Rubio turned over the ball at the end to help lose the game. For the most part though they both made key plays and key mistakes.

Scoring: Jeremy is clearly a better scorer. He attacks the rim with a fury that not many other pgs do. If he continues to get stronger he will always be a problem in that regard in the nba. You can't gamelan for what he has every time/ every game. I was watching old clips of dantonis pick and roll last night...itll be exciting to get melo back. What actually worries more is dantoni has never really had much success running the pnr with 2 big men...Tyson and amare...will they clog up the lane? He's a smart guy he should figure out some wrinkles.

Rubio is not a scorer at all. Right now teams can back off of him and go under screens. His offensive strength is getting to the hoop where he can get to rim and use his length and incredible vision to get bigs the ball.

Passing: no contest Rubio is a better passer. His vision and creativity in getting the players the ball is great. He knows how to time things and hesitate Gil the small holes open up. He knows how to improvise in the passing game.

Jeremy on the other hand is a solid passer. His passing relies more on knowing where guys should be in the offense and finding them. No flash. What happens with Jeremy is when guys aren't where they are supposed to be or something is blocked up Jeremy doesn't do a good job improvising and forces things. He either has to be more patient or more creative. If Pringles has him watch more video of Nash some of that could be developed--especially creating passing angles, but he's not a natural.

One of the best points I've seen actually brought up by Firebrand is that a scoring pg can definitely still be a pg. somehow okp has created this myth that if your a scoring pg you can't be a pg and have a pg mentality. That's wrong. Guys like rose, tony Parker, and Jeremy--not comparing him greatness wise just stylistically--all those guys can score...they do it in the context of the offense, and that's what makes it special like mike dantoni says.

Defense I go edge Jeremy but based on last night draw

You guys know I like Jeremy's d.
Ast night they used him off the ball and he did fine. I like that his big, quick, and he challenges every shot. He does a great job of helping and being in good defensive position, and he has great hands.let's not take away from how many steals Jeremy gets per 48 and since starting. He has a nose for the ball.

Rubio on defense is a walking contradiction. On 1 hand he's got this great range and can really bother guys. He has quick hands and feeet but what Ive realized last night and over thea course of games I've watched this season is that he plays defense in bursts right now. He will get after you and chase and deny hard-then a player catches the ball and can blow by him. Sometimes he does a great job of chasing and recovering to make a play, but other times he's left standing in his spot and doesn't move. He's also not a great help or team positional defender. He's great in the passing lanes and has phenomenal hands. When rubio is on and commits to defense he can be a nightmare, but like I said he tends to play it in bursts.

Intangibles:
Man what's crazy is these 2 guys are two of the biggest pgs in the league. As I've been watching Jeremy I'm like damn he looks big next to other pgs. I checked his pre draft measurements and dude is a legit 6'3 200 no shoes. Hes a big solid pg. Rubio wasn't measured but looks a legit 6-4. They both are stronger than they look--or maybe that's just my conditioning and I'm not seeing strong guys cause of skin color lol.

Rubio has really helped the twelves he knows how to find guys. He's gonna be a real good pg if he can make himself more of a scoring threat and commit to playing d. Stylistically he's more rondo than Nash--but he plays with a pace and doesn't back down from anyone. Seems like the type of cat that gets up for big games.he is a floor general and you can often see Ricky calling teammates orders and giving directions in the huddle.

Jeremy despite the bad game last night had special moments. Some of the finishes in the 1st half really started to make me believe this will be a consistent thing. Another thing that goes unrecognized is the pace he plays with. He's always attacking and catching defenses on their heels. It's a thing of beauty to see him rebound and instantly push up the court. You can see. Guys scrambling back--sometimes even his own teammates cause they aren't used o it. That type of thing is what shows his that he's a pg. Also the fact that he's come right in and barks directions at his teammates on offense and defense and talks to players in huddles--if that's not a pg mentality, not sure what is.