Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHere are mine by sport
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1905752&mesg_id=2064508
2064508, Here are mine by sport
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Nov-04-12 11:57 PM
NFL: University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ.

This place is magnificent. It is state of the art without being obnoxious, it has great views all over the place but the lower bowl is particularly strong and it gets LOUD AS FUCK when the roof is on. They usually keep the roof on. I really, really like this place and being essentially equidistant to the Stick (just as crappy as Qualcomm, worse really) it's pretty much the only money stadium in the southwestern part of the country. Love it, and I've been to most of the stadiums now. Seattle and New Orleans are on my short list of places to visit though.

NBA: Cmon, indoor arenas are lame as hell and basically all the same. I enjoy the atmosphere some places like Chicago and the concessions are the best in Philly. I don't know what to pick here honestly. I have always enjoyed Golden State games. Arco Arena would have been my pick 10-12 years ago. Maybe the Rose Garden, that stands out to me, great floor, cool atmosphere as long as it's a decent game. What a long non-answer.

NHL: Le Centre Bell, Montreal, QC.
Only one choice here and that is Montreal. Incredible facility with the uncommon mixture of league-leading seating capacity and top-to-bottom good views. The crowd goes nuts, the presentation is excellent, just top-shelf, maybe my favorite all-around stadium experience period in any pro sport. I have been to almost every NHL arena, one of the very few I am missing is Winnipeg which I hear is just unbelievable. There's so many great arenas, any arena is great for a big game.

MLB: I'm going off the board here and picking a dumpy venue with Oakland tied with a mostly empty one in Baltimore.

Oakland is just a fun time, especially for the crowd here. I went a few times in college, people were intensely into the game but also partying, getting stoned in the bleachers and what not. Baltimore is a similar "for the die hard" crowd filled with fat drunks who keep score and provide a great audience. It's a lovely stadium in a great location, absolutely timeless, brilliant IMO.

Fenway part is a cool novelty, new Yankee is better than the historic rat trap, Wrigley has lost its identity, so screw the old parks IMO. Philly is incredible, Texas and Cleveland are pretty cool, there are some great parks built in the past 20 years IMO. I love Target Field, I could warm up to as a favorite if I were around the Twin Cities more often and the Twins could actually field a professional team since it opened.

NCAA Hoops: The Palestra!

There are some great floors and atmospheres (Vandy, Duke, 'Cuse, and the list goes on) but there is NOTHING like the Palestra. If you fail to take in a game here, you have failed as a human being and failed in life. It's richer in history than any building out there and it embraces that. The pit-style setup is just awesome for a fan and cool for a player, too. I lovethe Palesta so much I used to watch Ivy League games there and I didn't even go to Penn.