Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectmuay thai fight in Bangkok
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1905752&mesg_id=1906502
1906502, muay thai fight in Bangkok
Posted by zero, Fri Jan-27-12 04:57 PM
I went and saw a fight with my pops at Ratchadamnoen Stadium in Bangkok, one of the two major muay thai joints in the city. you can go and pay a little more to sit closer or pay less and chill with the locals, who are basically a bunch of old guys betting and getting drunk.

it's a trip because of all the tradition and ritual that goes into it. they have some musicians that play some music (that is both beautiful and unsettling) as the fighters enter and during the match. the entrances are pretty elaborate, with the fighters paying respect to deities and sometimes, that stuff takes longer than the fights.

the fights range in age from little kids to heavyweight badasses. when I went, there was a fight between what looked like 10 year olds. one of the kids had his mom in the corner and started crying when he got kneed in the stomach too many times. kinda felt bad for the kid like he was being forced to fight, but I guess you gotta start somewhere. then you have some shit thats straight out of Bloodsport later on, with dudes really going at each other. some pretty awesome shit.