Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIndianapolis 500
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1905752&mesg_id=1906176
1906176, Indianapolis 500
Posted by osu_no_1, Fri Jan-27-12 07:16 AM
I go pretty much every year. Amazing event.

The feeling i get when 33 cars are roaring down the main straight towards the green flag is unlike any other. It is absolutely exhilarating. Its how I'd imagine I'd feel if i saw the space shuttle take off in person. Just full of pride and amazement for what we have accomplished as a race.

The track is huge and has a big infield area with a few holes of a golf course, a museum, part of their GP course, and all the red carpet celeb event stuff. I usually hang out around the museum and pagoda area before the race to watch the festivities and check out whats there. Chevy usually has a display and they had a huge model of the bumblebee transformer and I've seen some ridiculous cars like the zr1.

The spectacle beforehand is unlike any other race. Reminds me of a college bowl game with parades, concerts, a huge release of balloons, ridiculous vintage cars.

The traffic and crush of people can be staggering and possibly frustrating. Talk to someone thats been there before, plan ahead.

The race can start getting hard to follow at about 100 laps with all the pit stops and yellow flags that mix up the field. Try following one car like a penske or target that you recognize. Also a pocket radio and headphones (noise cancelling) will help you follow along, ear plugs will help you not go deaf. Or just forget about the race and party.

The infield is where the party's at, people drive their RVs in and get fucked up all day. You can sit in the bleachers or on the grass. The track is so big that you can't see it all and there are big displays around the track. You can bring in a cooler and food and drinks but cans only, no bottles.

Its a great time and some people make a full weekend out of it, camping outside the track until race day, then going in on Sunday.

Its something that i go to every year because i live fairly close and have family nearby, but I'd recommend it to everyone at least to try once. The adrenaline rush on that first green flag is worth the ticket alone.