Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDurham Bulls minor league baseball
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1905752&mesg_id=1906046
1906046, Durham Bulls minor league baseball
Posted by MagJayRan, Thu Jan-26-12 08:12 PM
In the 80's at Durham Athletic Park (The DAP) which is where they shot a big chunk of Bull Durham. There really weren't many bars in town back then and The DAP had crazy beer specials on 32 oz cups so people would get wasted. A lot of the same folks that were Cameron Crazies during basketball season and doing summer school would show up and lead chants. The most popular chant was "Bulls Hit" repeated faster and faster until it sounded like "Bullshit." Folks would chant "air ball" at wild pitches. I would go there as a kid on a friday night or saturday afternoon and the place would be packed and LOUD. The movie sorta ruined a lot of stuff in that park. It got so popular that hundreds were getting turned away every game. So of course they built a really nice new park (The DBAP.) More people show up on a weekend now than could ever fit in the old park but the atmosphere is gone. I still love going to games and I love seeing top prospects get their game together before they move on (Evan Longoria, BJ Upton, Carl Crawford, David Price, Jeremy Hellickson most recently) but it will never be the same. One of those "had to be there" sorta things. For what it's worth the playoff games are under attended usually but it's the hardcore fans and has more of the feel of the old park.