Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectOh yeah; go to an EPL game at least once.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1905752&mesg_id=1905897
1905897, Oh yeah; go to an EPL game at least once.
Posted by magilla vanilla, Thu Jan-26-12 04:37 PM
I went May 2009 to Villa Park, for Villa-Newcastle. It was the last game of the season, and Newcastle got relegated after the match. My wife and I were doing a Euro swing of London, Paris and Amsterdam that matched up with the match. We grabbed the train up from London to Birmingham morning of, and hit the city before the match. I had looked up pubs to check before hand, and as we approached the street on which the Briar Rose was, we heard BOOMING sounds from the street. We turn the corner and sure enough, like a hundred Newcastle supporters were across the street from the pub, singing and drinking. Those guys were super friendly, singing Villa songs, singing anti-Birmingham City songs, and basically just being really cool over all. The Geordies are a good people.

So then, we hop the train up to Villa Park. Man. There is NOTHING like being part of the crowd walking up to the stadium from the train before the match. The energy was incredible. And then, as we came through the tunnel to our section (Lower Holte End, Row E, just to the left of the goal), I got hit with even more energy from the crowd. The pitch was absolutely gorgeous. The match was pretty good (ended one-nil off a Newcastle own goal- Gareth Barry's shot deflected in by Damien Duff), we got to give retiring club captain Martin Laursen a sendoff before it, gave John Carew a rousing reception while he warmed up as a sub; the crowd was pretty electric (both home and visiting support). . . such a great experience. Again. Highly recommend.

I want to hit up Craven Cottage next, b/c that seems like a GREAT ground.