Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectClive Charles, there's a baller ass mural of him in one of the bars
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1905752&mesg_id=1905859
1905859, Clive Charles, there's a baller ass mural of him in one of the bars
Posted by celery77, Thu Jan-26-12 04:13 PM
he took over the University of Portland team after his playing days in the NASL and it's proven to be a pretty productive American talent factory -- tons, tons, tons of the women's team has UP roots (Hope Solo and the blond chick whose name I forget right now were from UP, I think, along with lots of other), and some American men's notables like Kasey Keller went from UP to Europe in the early '90s with Charles as his coach, current guys like Casey Conor and Heath Pearce went there.

there's another dude, too, Jimmy Conway, I think, that set up essentially a youth academy system, so lots of guys attending games now were coached by these guys growing up, but Clive Charles is the really big one because he was responsible for turning University of Portland into a soccer school. so yeah, there's that, too.

little known trivia that Pele played his last professional game at Civic Stadium aka JELD-WEN field now (where they currently play), so yeah NASL roots are something, too.

edit: Clive Charles was a british black dude with a fat ass afro in the '70s, hence the baller-ism in the mural.