Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectyup, I was there singing that anthem, it was amazing
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1905752&mesg_id=1905830
1905830, yup, I was there singing that anthem, it was amazing
Posted by celery77, Thu Jan-26-12 03:54 PM
>If I recall...that was Portland, right?
>
>Very interesting. How did Portland become such a soccer
>hotbed?

that gameday was amazing, pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime thing, because it was BIG BIG BIG to have the first MLS home game. that was an all day party around the stadium even with the terrible weather. they made a special documentary from that night and gave it to season ticket holders at the end of the season and I got teary eyed when I watched it.

as for why it's so crazy, the most simple explanation is probably in the "Little Beirut" scarves that the Timbers Army sells. it's a quote attributed to George Bush I from when he visited in the '90s about all the protests he faced, and the supporters' section here now wears it (printed in Arabic on the scarf) with pride. it's weird here, people like counter culture, and this community sprang up around the minor league soccer team that's pretty tight knit, ultimately was a major driving force in landing the team here through direct community organizing to help get the city council to approve stadium redesign plans.

but yeah, I've watched the TV, it looks good, but the full breadth of just how crazy it is can't really be seen until you're moving through the stadium and seeing what it's like in person.