Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCan local Vikings fans tell me about the status of the stadium push?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1893534&mesg_id=1893534
1893534, Can local Vikings fans tell me about the status of the stadium push?
Posted by Walleye, Wed Jan-11-12 02:20 PM
I went from not caring even a little to caring somewhat to caring quite a bit in the span of this morning as an item on facebook from St. Mary's Basilica popped up about a proposed site on Linden Avenue. I used to go to church there and my memories are fond enough that no place since has really compared favorably to it, not the place I got married or the bleary-eyed Tridentine low rite place I came to favor late in my time in Chicago.

It would be disappointing if they chose this site to build, as most of the Basilica's talking points (diminished church accessibility for a vibrant parish, likely loss of the Block Party, architectural dangers for a historic landmark, etc.) seem pretty fair criticisms from my perspective.

But I haven't lived there in (big sigh) a decade now, and I don't keep up to date with Vikings stuff unless I've got a trip scheduled there and will actually be required to talk about football. I realize I'm tremendously late, but hopefully somebody could catch me up fast since I'm now in the unfamiliar and unpleasant position of having an opinion.

I should probably add that one subject I don't care about is geographically unspecific arguments about sports stadiums, stadium financing, corporate welfare, the guys-with-monocles-and-butlers-ocracy. Feel free to go all Dave Zirin if you like, and just imagine a guy with glasses and a Twins hat rolling his eyes when you don't get a response.