Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI'm biased from watching a lot of Caleb Porter, but I like the 4-2-3-1
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1871247&mesg_id=2578174
2578174, I'm biased from watching a lot of Caleb Porter, but I like the 4-2-3-1
Posted by celery77, Tue Nov-22-16 12:02 PM
The attacking 4 becomes a little flexible, and you can do things like cycle Pulisic between the wing and the hole. You put Bradley deep, but you also give Bradley cover with a 2nd pivot. You have the option of switching Fabian Johnson between LW/RW based on matchups. You also give yourself the option of flipping the midfield triangle and leaving a single pivot, playing two attackers when you faced opposition that poses a smaller threat. So then the formation would be something like:

Wood
Pulisic/Kljestan/Johnson
Bedoya/Bradley
Villafana/Brooks/Cameron/Yedlin
Hamid

It allows for some bunker, allows for counters, allows for possession, puts some key players in their best positions. Works as a 4-5-1 / 4-4-1-1 / 4-3-3 based on small tweaks. But yeah, I've just watched that tons over the past few years, too, so it comes to mind easily because it's what I understand best. Asks a lot of the lo e striker and asks a lot of the guy in the hole, though, so it is personnel dependent...