Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectit's not lost, just easily dismissed for the naive euro-snobbery it is
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1871247&mesg_id=2378594
2378594, it's not lost, just easily dismissed for the naive euro-snobbery it is
Posted by celery77, Thu Oct-16-14 04:55 PM
the pro/rel system was designed in a time prior to sporting clubs becoming major entertainment brands that spanned the globe. That's why leagues like the EPL have had to drastically react to the problems they created as they bankrupted clubs that bombed out of the top flight.

Yeah, it seems quaint and novel as an American fan seeing something like that, but if you consider it through the perspective of a sports executive who's trying to invest millions into a longshot project (growing domestic soccer in the US) it's idiotic. Also, if you're viewing it through the lens of a commissioner who has a responsibility to grow the brand of 20 teams, not just one or two teams, it's crazy to just throw 2-3 team brands on the trash heap every year, just to turn around and try to promote 2-3 new ones, in 2-3 new markets, with 2-3 new specific fan base challenges and ownership groups etc. etc. It's fucking dumb.

And have you been to a USL Pro game? Ever? Do you have any clue what that was like? Sheeeeit, I seen PROMO posting above me supporting this crap -- did you go to Starfire PROMO, and watch Le Toux and Zach Scott toil away for peanutes? Because if you did, you were one of a lucky few hundred who braved that terrible park, I'm well aware. Some current MLS teams are barely on MLS' level, why would they start inviting iffy markets that can't guarantee they'll be part of the ESPN contract every year? It's so nonsensical.

For Klinsmann to suggest it is dumb, it's euro-snobbery, and it does a disservice to the domestic league that is propping his USMNT up. The Soccer Don already gets asked about pro/rel in basically every press conference he ever holds, it's been that way for years, and he's emphatically stated it's not going to happen in MLS multiple times. Klinsmann needs to get the memo and shut the fuck up about it.