Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDon Garber: Klinsmann's treatment of Landon was "inexcusable"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=1871247&mesg_id=2378284
2378284, Don Garber: Klinsmann's treatment of Landon was "inexcusable"
Posted by celery77, Wed Oct-15-14 03:47 PM
Don Garber hastily called for a press conference to talk about Klinsmann today, proceeded to blast Klinsmann in public. I love it. You guys, I loooooove it. Garber stuck up for Bradley and Dempsey as well, talked about Klinsmann's comments as being damaging to the league. I'm sure everyone will latch on to the Donovan comment below (which couldn't be more correct) but at this point with the MLS Commish, seated USSF board member going at you like this in public? Klinsmann should feel some heat...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/15/mls-commissioner-jurgen-klinsmann-exclude-landon-donovan-world-cup

MLS chief criticises Jürgen Klinsmann for excluding Landon Donovan from World Cup

•Don Garber: Donovan’s treatment was inexcusable
•Garber ‘infuriated’ by Klinsmann’s comments on MLS

MLS commissioner Don Garber has attacked Jürgen Klinsmann’s decision to not take Landon Donovan to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Garber, also member of the United States Soccer Federation board of directors, held a conference call to refute statements from Klinsmann, the USA manager, that US players returning to the MLS to play from Europe was affecting their form and his ability to build a strong squad.

Garber strongly denied those accusations, and went on to say that the criticism of Clint Dempsey, who moved to MLS from the Premier League, and Michael Bradley, who returned to play for Toronto FC after a spell in Serie A with Roma, was following a patter than began with Donovan, who retired from international football on Saturday after a friendly against Ecuador.

“I believe that Landon should have been in Brazil,” said Garber. “Because his performance dictated it ... His treatment was inexcusable.” He also said that Klinsman’s comments were harming the league and were “personally infuriating”. ““I will do everything and anything to defend our league, players & owners.

“I think needs to think very hard about how he manages himself publicly.”