Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYeah, ultimately you have to just accept the sunk cost.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2808007&mesg_id=2808022
2808022, Yeah, ultimately you have to just accept the sunk cost.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-20-24 01:29 AM
You made a mistake. The coach isn't working, and you owe him a ton of money. Would you rather:
a) lose several more seasons solely because you don't want to eat the cost of firing the coach, or
b) admit the mistake, pay out the ass for it, and move on in order to give your franchise an actual modicum of hope for the near future?

Option B all day. You have a new president, new GM, might as well have a new coach. They can make moves with this roster-- it's a roster with bad fit, but most of the pieces are really young with real upside value. Extract enough value with moves, and hey, you could have something.

If it were up to me (and hey Detroit, I'm available), everything I do would be centered around trying to surround Cade with shooting. I'd trade one of Ivey or Ausar, whichever you like more going forward, for shooting or major league draft capital. I'd trade Duren for shooting. I think Stewart can space the floor some, and he's obviously great to keep for salary matching in future trades down the line, but if you get the right offer, you trade him too. I like Grimes (even though he was hurt most of last year). I like Sasser as an off-the-bench piece. But they desperately need true rim protection next to Stewart, and they need shooting shooting shooting.

In the draft, shit, I'd trade up to make sure I land Reed Sheppard. Exceptional shooter, exceptional decision maker, a perfect complement to Cade. Maybe offer Houston Ivey-- or maybe Amen wants to play with his brother, idk. But I've no doubt in my mind Ivey and a second or two would get you the third pick in this draft. Then, with the fifth pick, you land Donovan Clingan or Alex Sarr, whichever one is still on the board at 5, since the Spurs aren't drafting a center. If the Pistons could roll out something like Cade/Sheppard/Grimes/Stewart/Clingan next year? That'd be something I could get excited about looking ahead.

Do I think they'll reboot that hard, when so many of these individual pieces hold great potential (I love Ivey, I think Ausar can be an NBA starter, I think Duren is a perfect Drummond bench big type)? Absolutely not. But if Cade is your star (and he is), you can't have multiple can't shoot/can't defend players on the floor next to him. It's just common sense.