Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNo, but I think you can't allow them to settle.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2805892&mesg_id=2806446
2806446, No, but I think you can't allow them to settle.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Apr-07-24 06:50 PM
I don't think any one thing would work, but I think shifting between a number of things could keep them on your toes. Not like they were going to win the glass anyway, but they *really* weren't going to compete at all on the glass in a 2-3 for an extended period. Without looking, I'd have to guess SC was averaging, like, an offensive rebound per minute in that zone, lol.

You're right that it obviously doesn't really ever boil down to just one thing or another, but that stretch in the third when South Carolina just figured out Iowa's whole deal felt like where it was put away. There was a 4 or 5 minute stretch there where SC only scored once and had a couple turnovers, and Iowa pulls within two... then South Carolina scores on like four of the next five possessions, with something like three 3s-- had they not taken a single three in the second half til they started falling? It felt like they just weren't really running zone offense, and then suddenly they were-- and they were getting wide open looks-- and once Iowa was forced to relent and go back to man, it felt to me like "well, that 4-5 minute stretch was their chance, so that's that."

To your point, unless you're making an anomalous number of 3s, you just can't win when you're getting smooshed on the glass like that. And Iowa used up all their 3-point shooting turbo in the first half. I know they got it back to a 6-point game in the fourth-- and I guess a part of me was holding my breath and hoping for some miracle shots to go in to make the end of the game that much more exciting-- but I just never thought it was really a game in the fourth. South Carolina's too good to beat once you're that far behind.