Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI mean, the on/off numbers this year still *hugely* favor Klay.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2776045&mesg_id=2776288
2776288, I mean, the on/off numbers this year still *hugely* favor Klay.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Nov-15-22 01:54 PM
The Warriors are 13.3 points per 100 possessions better than their opponent when Klay is on the court-- and they're 20.4 points per 100 possessions *worse* than their opponent when Poole is on the court.

Now, some of that is because Klay plays more minutes with more starters than Poole does-- and certainly Klay's BPM being lower than Poole's, plus, y'know, the eye test, suggests that Poole is playing better than Klay right now...

... but Poole's BPM is still notably negative. And of the 25 most frequently used lineups in the NBA, the Warriors's lineup of Curry-Dray-Wiggins-Klay-Looney ranks *second best.* And it's in the top 5 of *all* lineups that have played more than 40 minutes together right now.

Furthermore, we have stats on the same lineup when Poole replaces Klay... and that same lineup is seventeen points per 100 possessions *worse* than when Klay is in the lineup. Smaller sample, but certainly lines up with the rest of the stats.

So I think, even with Klay's struggles, they shouldn't shake up the starting lineup. Even if Klay isn't the defender he once was, he's better on defense than Poole-- and the lineup size-wise makes more sense with Klay too.

I also just believe a shooter of his caliber will shake off a slump eventually. It's a nightmare start offensively for one of the best pure shooters we've ever seen, but I think he'll find his way.