Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: I know this is a mostly a club thread
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2713184&mesg_id=2713463
2713463, RE: I know this is a mostly a club thread
Posted by allStah, Thu Mar-12-20 11:00 PM
I'm in the group that feels that the US women should not be paid on equal footing as the men, due to how long the men have been playing, and that the field of competition is tougher

Men have been playing soccer since 1885. US Women's soccer started in 1985, and the team came into being a top top club in 1999.

Now I do believe that they deserve to be the highest paid women's national team in the world, but to be paid on the same level as the men, or higher, I disagree with that.

Their level of competition needs to get better. There are really only 4-5 truly competitive national teams in women's soccer, and there are barely 20 teams in the field, and most of them have terrible women's national programs, because their countries don't invest in women's soccer. United States invest an immense amount of money into the women's national team, probably more than any other country.

The men have to face stiff competition from the Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia, so competition is far superior to anything the women are facing.

With that, I say, continue to grow the women's game, and as other countries catch up and provide better competition, then the earnings and prizes will increase. Women's national team is great simply because the majority of the teams are really, really bad.

Think about it, in this modern era of soccer, which I date starting in the 90s. I don't count anything before 1990 to be able to compare to the current speed or play of soccer. No Men's national team has repeated as World Cup winners. The US women just did it, by winning in 2015 and 2019.