Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCharlotte/Rousey makes perfect sense
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2672609&mesg_id=2679812
2679812, Charlotte/Rousey makes perfect sense
Posted by magilla vanilla, Sat Nov-24-18 08:18 PM

>I have to say though the Charlotte/Rousey thing still doesn't
>make sense to me. I get that it's weird Rhonda is champ so
>soon - I'm a big fan of the hero's journey so for her to be
>champ without having faced Sasha, Charlotte, Becky, Bayley,
>Asuka... seemed silly. But I struggle to be able to fault her
>personally or anything she's done since joining WWE. I get
>people don't like the smiling, the ring attire, but she gives
>100% and she did amazingly in that Charlotte match so deserved
>better than to be boo'ed by people after taking that
>beatdown.

From a kayfabe standpoint, Charlotte and Becky have a long history, and Charlotte has always seen Becky as her underboss. The Tully to her Ric. Only problem is, Becky didn’t want that role. And Becky beat respect into her. On top of that, she played the history card by calling herself The Man in so doing.

Now, along comes this interloper who’s only here because she got the taste kicked out of her mouth. She’s borrowing another icon’s jacket and nickname without having any actual appreciation for the business. How could she if she doesn’t know what Becky even means when she calls herself The Man? She gets to stand alongside the Rock and get into fights with the bosses right away. She didn’t have to go through developmental like Charlotte did despite being ass juice on the mic. Throw that on top of Becky entrusting her to take care of business - which didn’t have to include a pinfall or submission so much as getting inside Rousey’s “weak mind.”

>And as relates to Charlotte, is she even an actual heel right
>now? She acted like one after the match but nothing that
>happened on Smackdown indicates that she is. I don't get why
>Paige didn't chew her out: she technically shamed the brand by
>her actions, basically threw in the towel instead of fighting
>til the end, but has received nothing but praise and cheers.
>I'm baffled by it.

Paige is second generation like Charlotte. That’s why. Plus, one of those two women walked out unbloddied and with her head held high. Compared to the teams losing at SS, this is nothing for Smackdown.

>I was talking to a friend who said they'd need to turn Rhonda
>heel if she's going to face Becky at Mania but I don't even
>know what that would entail - would they have her turn on a
>face like Sasha and beat the hell out of her - with the
>current trend that would just make Rhonda really popular and
>have people boo'ing Sasha like Rhonda before her, and
>Charlotte before that.

The difference is that Becky is nuclear hot as a face right now, in the Austin tradition. And Rousey going hard at her is going to get a negative reaction, no matter what. And that extends to anyone seen as a Becky associate, which would include Sasha and Bayley - the other two “horsewomen” of NXT.