Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHmmmm, interesting question.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2625590&mesg_id=2625648
2625648, Hmmmm, interesting question.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Oct-12-17 10:11 PM
The Celtics are very liberal about retiring numbers. Cedric Maxwell springs to mind but he was a better player than Allen. KC Jones was somewhat similar to Allen in terms of role but a much better and more accomplished player. As I said in the other thread, why are they going so ham on this era? How playoff series did they win? A few but not that many, no finals appearances, etc. Weird that a guy with this role would get his number retired without rings (though I know he got one in Boston).

I think the guy I'd nominate would be Brad Davis. Why did the Mavs retire his number? Any special significance? Looking at stats, I am baffled. The Cavs retired Nate Thurmond's number for sure and I think Walt Frazier's number. This would be akin to the Chargers retiring Johnny Unitas's number or the Niners doing it with OJ or Rams with Joe Namath. I guess the Thurmond makes more sense because he is an Akronite, but overall these showed how desperate they were to hang a banner of some sort in Cleveland.

Vinnie Johnson's number was retired by Detroit (arguably better than Allen but similar, a super-sub with a specific role). He had two rings though. Here is a moe similar case to Allen's. The Sonics retired Nate McMillan's number. I loved McMillan and knew he'd be a coach, but frankly he doesn't deserve it. The Sixers can go ahead and retire Eric Snow's number if so. I would say McMillan is very similar to Allen, a defense/leadership guy with kind of shitty numbers.

There are some suspect "ring of honor" choices in the NHL/NFL but that is not the same as a retired number.

Here is an odd one for you guys, the #2 was retired by the Hartford Whalers for Rick Ley and then un-retired when they moved to Raleigh and re-retired for Glen Wesley. Both guys were good defensemen and served in leadership roles but I doubt many franchises would have retired either of their numbers. So they retired the same number twice for somewhat suspect choices.

In hockey Yvon Labre seems to me to be the most Tony Allen-like. He was a gritty player and a heart-and-soul guy. He was not a star.

Why did the Angels retire Jimmy Reese's number? I should know this but I don't.

There are probably more candidates but Allen is definitely in their midst. Anyway, I always liked him a lot and he symbolized what the Grizzlies identity became. So I am cool with it, though I acknowledge it's suspect.