Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI don't agree with him but it seems like a fair compromise
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2615284&mesg_id=2615396
2615396, I don't agree with him but it seems like a fair compromise
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jun-23-17 08:33 PM
Not only is it a fair compromise, it is a mutually beneficial one for all involved parties. There are some guys who are ready for the NBA at 18 and no one should stand in their way. Most of the guys ready at 19 were ready at 18. But look at the draft last night. How many of these kids were similarly built at present and similarly skilled? Lots of projection involved there. A lot of those kids could benefit from another year with a shorter schedule and competition among their peers. The ones that are men already, they'd already be gone. The skinny ass dudes that are just going to have a really expensive seat for their rookie season can go back to school.

Had he said that once you commit you need to go the full four years, I'd blast him. But this system--in basketball I can't really speak to baseball--is reasonable. It lets the very top and/or more physically mature players turn pro at 18. It gives some of these guys more opportunity to develop in all aspects, and it's only one more year. Obviously it gives the college more continuity, experience, etc.

Personally I oppose any sort of limitation, but if they are to have one, this seems pretty reasonable.